whack 'whacked'

Tue Mar 16 19:07:00 UTC 2004

On Mar 16, 2004, at 13:47, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> this was new to me, but then i often come in late to the great opera of
> language change.  what we have here is clearly an adjective "whack" --
> note modification by degree "how" here and by other adverbs in examples
> like the following, from google searches:

Yeah, it's an oldy, but it's still in use. The earliest cite I see is
1987. Early cites are usually spelled "wack," and come from hip-hop or
black America. Both spellings are still around.

--
Grant Barrett

Assistant Editor, Lexical Reference
Project Editor, Historical Dictionary of American Slang
Oxford University Press

American Dialect Society webmaster
http://www.americandialect.org/