"gerries" for old persons

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Wed Mar 17 12:50:47 UTC 2004

I am such a gerrie that I thought Roly's US colleague's daughter was
referring to her cello (until the modern world caught up with me,
maybe only because I am acquainted with European handi/y).

dInIs (who hopes codgie and geezie will not follow)

Geoff

Well known in Australian English, together with about 2,000 others in
-ie/-y. Also in this semantic area oldies, the olds (not a car here),
grayie, oldster, crustie (an unkempt older person).

This formation is apparently spreading in the US - a colleague in
Texas tells me his daughter says she is using her "cellie".

Roly Sussex

Date:    Mon, 15 Mar 2004 23:39:50 -0800
From:    Geoffrey Nunberg <nunberg at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: "gerries" for old persons

Does anyone know anything about this word? I heard it used by the
20-something son of a friend, and Google turns up some hits, but it's
hard to tell what its status is. It also turns up "wrinklies" and
"crumble" -- are there other new items of this type?

Geoff Nunberg

--

Roly Sussex
Professor of Applied Language Studies