Islamist

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 17 16:55:23 UTC 2004

At 7:12 AM -0600 3/17/04, Jim Parish wrote:
>Lynne Murphy wrote (much snipped):
>>  Would be interesting to use _Christianist_ in the same way to refer to
>>  politicised Christian fundamentalism.
>
>By way of comparison, there was a revolt by conservative Catholics in
>Mexico in the 1920s; the rebels were known as "cristeros".

I've heard the English equivalent "Christer" used on occasion, but in
a slang register.  It's pejorative, unlike "Islamist" or, I assume,
"cristeros".  I believe it is used for holier-than-thou Christians,
the Pat Robertson type; not quite the same as the above meanings, but
overlapping with it.  I don't have my HDAS on me.  It is in the OED,
though:
===================
Christer        SECOND EDITION, 1989
U.S. slang
A term applied disparagingly to an over-zealous, over-pious, or
sanctimonious person.

1924 'W. FABIAN' Sailors' Wives vii. 90 You never were a Christer in
college. 1932 J. DOS PASSOS 1919 137 In spite of not drinking and
being somewhat of a Christer, having odd ideas about reform and
remedying abuses. 1934 H. MILLER Tropic of Cancer (1948) 81 It
doesn't matter to me whether he's a chauvinist, a little Christer, or
a near-sighted pedant. 1940 E. POUND Cantos lxi. 97 You Christers
wanna have foot on two boats. 1966 J. PHILIPS Wings of Madness (1967)
III. i. 172 I'm a Christer and do-gooder... I wasn't welcome.