Phood (Food + Pharma, or nutritionally enhanced food); Chicago Public Library

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 19 06:30:58 UTC 2004

PHOOD

PHOOD--2,520 Google hits, 1,390 Google Groups hits

   Phuck!  I phorgot all about this!
   There aren't a lot of helpful hits for "phood" yet, but there will be.

   18 March 2004, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. 1, col. 7:
   _Crunch Time_

_With Food Sales Flat, Nestle_
_Stakes Future on Healthier Fare_

_High-Tech Additives in "Phood"_
   _Help Munchers Keep Fit;_
   _So Far, Slow to Catch On_
(...)
   With the industry facing stagnant sales growth, Nestle is looking for
growth in the intersection of food and pharmaceuticals--a niche of nutritionally
enhanced products known in the business as "phood."

(GOOGLE)
portland imc - 2003.04.22 - Some thoughts on Anarchy and ...
... and pharmaceutical producers- and now our food- shall i say phood-
industry and ... PHARMA
aka the pharmacutical manufacurers association is the group that spent ...
portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/04/61264.shtml - 57k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)(Not really "food" + "pharma")
Re: Phood Phind in Philly
For those of you in the Philadelphia region, or planning to travel to this
area,
there's a VEGAN Chinese restaurant. It's called Harmony, on 9th and Market.
rec.food.veg - Nov 16, 1991 by Benash - View Thread (2 articles)  Pizza and
Telecom Inflation (was Phast Phood)
football
weekend, and that the pizza company delivers by bicycle.) (A lot of this is
comp.dcom.telecom - Aug 27, 1991 by Dennis Blyth - View Thread (1 article)
Re: Phast Phood
In article <telecom11.635.7 at eecs.nwu.edu> kucharsk at solbourne.com (William
Kucharski)
writes: X-Telecom-Digest: Volume 11, Issue 635, Message 7 of 13 This is ...
comp.dcom.telecom - Aug 22, 1991 by Robert E. Zabloudil - View Thread (15
articles)  Re: 950-PIZZA (was Phast Phood)
In article <telecom11.645.6 at eecs.nwu.edu> TELECOM Moderator responds to Mike
Shawaluk
<oovvoo at mixcom.com>: [Moderator's Note: There is no relation whatsoever ...
comp.dcom.telecom - Aug 18, 1991 by David Ash - View Thread (3 articles)
Call 1-800-TASSELS (Was: Phast Phood)
Jeff Sicherman opened a thread (Digest v11,iss626) about Domino's Pizza using
an
AT&T development intended to route your call to the nearest store for entry
comp.dcom.telecom - Aug 18, 1991 by Donald E. Kimberlin - View Thread (1
article)  Re: Wanted: seafood and view in La Jolla, CA
... spl (the p stands for phood) -- Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (619) 534-7978
(Yes, another
new job!) UCSD Microscope and Imaging Resource/9500 Gilman Drive/La Jolla ...

rec.food.restaurants - Jul 22, 1991 by Steve Lamont - View Thread (4
articles)  Re: My old-bag-you-fool is not a mother. Yet.
... Or has Rutgers decided to franchise, not unlike McDonald's? I can see it
now, their
first weekly special, in neon lights and all: Phood, Pholks, and PhD's! ...
alt.flame - Feb 15, 1991 by Theodore A. Kaldis - View Thread (2 articles)
BlobDemo5 - Blob Manager Demo source (part 5 of 5)
... pharmonic", X"\pheave", X"\pheaven", X"\pheavenward", X"\pheavy",
X"\pheavyweight",
X"\phero", X"\pheroic", X"\phistorian", X"\phistory", X"\phood", X"\phoodlum
mod.mac.sources - Feb 1, 1987 by macintosh at felix.UUCP - View Thread (1
article)

CHICAGO PUBLIC LIBRARY

   Thanks to Fred Shapiro for trying to help.  Fred writes:

   After a long struggle on my part, the CPL has actually changed the entry.
The bad news is that the new entry is only slightly better than the old one,
leaving the Charles A.Dana story pretty much intact, and not even mentioning
Barry and his great
discoveries on this term.  The Chicago Historical Society apparently had a
hand in this pseudo-correction.

This sad situation can be viewed at the following URL:

http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/005genref/faqwindy.html

Before I continue the futile attempt to fix this mess, let me pose two
questions for Barry whose answers will help me formulate my response to
the CPL:

1. Is there any basis whatsoever for the following statement:

"In the early part of the nineteenth century, Chicago promoters went up
and down the East Coast loudly promoting Chicago as an excellent place to
invest. Detractors claimed they were full of wind."

2. Is there any validity to the claim that Charles A. Dana popularized
"Windy City," although clearly not coining it?

Fred Shapiro

   The Chicago Public Library's web site has always had TWO contradictory
(and equally wrong) theories.  One is the above, and it does NOT appear to have
changed.  The other is this (still on the site) that claims that Charles Dana
coined and not just popularized it:

Why is Chicago called the Windy City?
Chicago is nicknamed the "Windy City" but not because of its wind speeds. The
average wind velocity here is 10.3 miles an hour. Cities with higher average
velocities include Boston, 13.1; Buffalo, 12.6 and Cleveland, 10.9. The
nickname originated in an editorial of the now defunct New York Sun when Chicago and
New York City were competing to host the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
Charles A. Dana, editor of the New York Sun, wrote an editorial telling New
Yorkers to pay no attention to the "nonsensical claims of that windy city. Its
people could not hold a world's fair even if they won it."
Source: Chicago Tribune, 8 June 1970, sA p1.

    To answer Fred:

1.  No, there is no basis whatsoever that "Chicago promoters went up and down
the East Coast...."  As I've shown through meticulous work, the East Coast
newspapers (TIMES, BROOKLYN EAGLE, WASHINGTON POST, etc.) were actually the last
to use "Windy City."  Cincinnati--not on the East Coast--was the first.

2.  "Windy City" was in a SPORTING LIFE city nicknames list in 1886.  Charles
Dana didn't even popularize it when he wrote over three years later.

   For more on the Dana "Windy City" myth, see:

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Reno Evening Gazette - 4/20/1945
...to the nonsensical claims of that WINDY CITY. The people of CHICAGO could
not build a.....are right in asserting that CHARLES A. DANA of the New York
Sun, in coining the CITY.....for the world's Columbian exposition of 1893, said:
pay any attention.....applied to war production. WINDY But Not WINDY CHICAGO
'S CURRENT protest over being..
Reno, Nevada Friday, April 20, 1945  715 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 4/20/1945
...in asserting that CHARLES A. DANA of the NEW YORK Sun, in coining the CITY
designation.....protest over being described as the ''WINDY CITY is a
reminder of the havoc Time.....herein. Rational Advertising Company NEW YORK.
Chicago. San Francisco, Detroit.....attention to the nonsensical claims of that WINDY
CITY. The people of Chicago could not..
Reno, Nevada Friday, April 20, 1945  715 k

Southtown Economist - 6/29/1958
...New York Times 'Do not believe that WINDY CITY.' And that's how CHICAGO
got a nickname.....Mrs. Bestow chuckled, "that CHARLES DANA wrote in
the.....time CHICAGO was a lusty, rapidly-growing CITY, independent and set to take its
place.....the 65th anniversary of the great CHICAGO exhibition. The picnic will
be held..
Chicago, Illinois Sunday, June 29, 1958  606 k

Southtown Economist - 6/29/1958
...New York Times 'Do not believe that WINDY CITY.' And that's how CHICAGO
got a nickname.....I Mrs. Bestow chuckled, "that CHARLES DANA wrote in
the.....time CHICAGO was a lusty, rapidly-growing CITY, independent and set to take its
place.....the 65th anniversary of the gre.it CHICAGO exhibition. The picnic
will be held..
Chicago, Illinois Sunday, June 29, 1958  594 k

   Yes--according to the SOUTHTOWN ECONOMIST of 1958, famous NEW YORK SUN
editor Charles Dana wrote in the NEW YORK _TIMES_.
   When the Chicago Historical Society's research department repeated the
Dana myth to weatherman Al Roker just last month, I wrote to the CHS to explain
itself.  I mentioned that I'd been sending my research to the forthcoming
ENYCLOPEDIA OF CHICAGO (a joint project of the Newberry Library and the CHS) for
free.
   There's been no response in over two weeks--just like it's been for ten
years.