Only way to fly

Michael Vezie mlv at POBOX.COM
Fri Mar 19 12:53:53 UTC 2004

>Date:    Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:51:40 -0500
>From:    Sean Fitzpatrick <grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET>
>Subject: Only way to fly
>
>Someone just told me about used books bargains at Amazon and remarked =
>that "it's the only way to fly".
>
>What's the origin of this?  It is never used literally (although Google =
>finds a number of drug-related references--"Mescaline--it's the only way =
>to fly").  Was it an airline slogan, or did it have a pre-airplane =
>predecessor?  "Hupmobile!  It's the only way to travel!"

I don't know if it had a pre-airplane predecessor, but it was the slogan
for Western Airlines
(from 1955, according to this link, until maybe some time in the 70s or
so, I think).

And I just learned that the bird in the ads had a name:
http://www.tvacres.com/birds_canary_wally.htm

Hope this helps.

Michael