COCK as vernacular pop adjectival

Sun Mar 21 17:36:42 UTC 2004

A.
One thing that comes to mind is the old slang term BOSS, surely stemming from
the verb (or noun), but a slang adjectival for a long time. So the shift is
clearly not limited to words ending in /k/. at least historically.

B.
I Googled for a number of different of "cock" combinations, and a few worked.
Part of the difficulty with this kind of research is that "cock" appears with
a number of different words in nonsense pornography leaders (e.g., "cock
idea") so it takes forever to get to any real examples. And then, of course, it is
often the case that the word in question is undoubtledly (or probably) being
used attributatively, not adjectivially. But I did find the followingh
likelycandidates:

1.
I found this at <http://www.talkingcock.com/html/sections.php?op=viewarticle&
artid=33>, which comes from Singapore; "cock" here appears to be adjectival,
not attribtive:

"Yah, I heard about Ah Seng. I'm not surprised. It was an absolutely cock
idea!"

2.
>From the same website, but <
http://www.talkingcock.com/html/article.php?sid=973>

like the line from the movie, "it's a real COCK idea, man!" =D

3.
Yes, these are both from Singapore, and it seems that adjective cock is found
in Singapore English, as the following, from an online Singapore swearing
glossary, indicates (at <http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/singlish.htm>):

How to swear, insult, cuss and curse in Singlish!
 Singlish language swear words and phrases and their English translations.
 (Singapore recognizes four official languages: English, Mandarin, Malay and
Tamil. Singaporeans also speak a peculiar brand of English called "Singlish".
This mixes English with Chinese dialects (mostly Hokkien) and some Malay.) <
http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/singlish.htm>

Singlish Swearing   English Translation
Hong Gan                 Get fucked!
Kgum Lan                Whatever the hell for? (lit. Suck balls)
Bo Ji / Bo Lum Pa     No balls
Gan Piah                   Fuck the wall
Gan Di Du                 Fuck a spider
Hor Gui Gan              Fucked by ghost
Hor Gau Gan             Fucked by dog
Lan Jiao Lang          Cock person (Jerk / Bastard)
Kena sai Disgraced! (lit. to be stained by shit)
Chee Bye Chwee       Pussy mouth
ETC.

4.
Here is what seems to be a fairly good candidate from the US, but they are
admittedly few and far between (from Morel - Life/Blogger 6/01-7/03 at <
http://morelworld.com/oldlife.html>):

july 18, 2002-- the band just left. Things are going well . Things are also
hard. What is important isn't necessarily what you want. Its hard to pass up
what you want for what is important. . What is home? I guess home is the people
around you. I am home right now. "Kid got the handshake- kid make the earth
quake and the dream lets me down...you shake a storm up-I'll turn the porn up-
I'm cool when you're around"
 june 20,2002 -- my friend Jack Pierson came down to visit and take pictures
of the band. We all had a good time hanging out. I'll post some pics later
this week.Working on a new song. Going to go to the beach to chill for a few
days.
 june 14, 2002-- 3:00 am-- the band came over-- things unraveled as the night
progressed- at least on my end. Everything I'm writing about is wrapped up in
the band. All of my usual cock attitude has lost its way lately-and I'm into
it.

5.
Another good candidate for adjectival "cock" is in the following DVD review,
in which "cock attitude" is used to describe a yung woman (at <
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/691.php>):

 Shadow Skill
Released By:Manga Entertainment

Running time:120 minutes
Reviewed By:Chris Beveridge

In a war torn world of deadly conflict, one small group of heroes stand
against the forces of darkness, armed with only two weapons: their unswerving
dedication to good and the superhuman martial art known as the Shadow Skill. For
fourteen year old Gau, it is time once again for him to return to the graves of
his parents, murdered by bandits when he was just ten. In the company of his
adoptive sister Ella, Gau quickly comes to realize that his journey is more
than a pilgrimage, and that his combat abilities as a student fo the Karuda
school of martial arts are about to be pushed to the breaking point. Will he ever
discover the secret of the Shadow Skill?

Made up of three OVA's and an epilogue OVA, Shadow Skill is another tale
delivered to us by Hiroshi Negishi, one of the more controversial directors out
there depending on your point of view.

Content: (please note that content portions of a review may contain spoilers)

Shadow Skill is the story of Gau Ban and his adoptive older sister Ella Ragu.
We're introduced to young fourteen year old Gau training near the city where
his older adoptive sister is about to go into the arena to fight for the title
of becoming a Sevalle. The Kurada section of the world has evolved into a
warrior based society over the past 2000 years and during these competitions, the
winner is bestowed the title and honor of Sevalle, which is the name of those
who ruled.

After a brief encounter with someone who was watching Gau train in a
mysterious fighting mode, he heads to the arena to watch the even. Ella's got the cock
attitude of a seventeen year old whose a master in the Shadow Skill, a rare
and powerful fighting technique. She's going up against Baslek, a rather
imposing and tall beefy creature who keeps on fighting even after losing entire
limbs.

6.
"Big-cock" seems to be adjectival in the following album review (at<
http://www.musicdish.com/mag/index.php3?id=4001>):

 The Black Halos - The Violent Years
Sub Pop
 By: Holly Day (Associate Writer)
2001-06-21
 Artist: The Black Halos
Title: The Violent Years
Label: Sub Pop (www.subpop.com)
P.O. Box 20645, Seattle, WA 98102
Format: CD, 39 minutes
 Cool, retro, noisy, garage punk rock drawing heavily on the foundation the
Ramones and the New York Dolls laid down, with lots of big cock attitude and
awesome, sloppy lead guitar that barely stretches past the three-chord limit of
these songs. The songs are fun to listen to, but it's sometimes hard to tell
one song from the next, they're so similar (excluding the notable cover of Joy
Division's "Warsaw", which is, to be honest, an awfully hard song to fuck up),
and even have similar themes running through them, most notably, the idea
that "the underground isn't the underground any more" and numerous references to
people selling out, almost as if these songs are the bitter, sarcastic answer
to the questions of identity and culture posed by the first generation of punk
rock.

No time now to explore more!!!!