Singapore COCK is probably not CACK

Sun Mar 21 18:28:13 UTC 2004

I certainly wouldn't want to rule out the possiblity that Singapore "cock" is
sometimes fecal rather than penile. However, the Singapore slang spelling
with "o" rather than "a" would seem to me to indicate a rounded vowel, whereas
the fecal word is universally pronounced with an unrounded vowel.

Moreover, the same website distinguishes sharply between "cack" and "cock",
as the following entries make clear:

cack noun
1. Shit.
2. Nonsense.
3. Lies.
cock breath noun
One whose breath smells of cock.
cockholster noun
A pejorative term for a sexually promiscuous woman.
cock jockey noun
1. A promiscuous gay male.
2. A promiscuous woman.
cocksucker noun
A mean or despicable person.
cockweasel noun
1. An annoying person.
2. A promiscuous woman.

Admitedly, "cockbreath" and maybe "cockweasel" are possibly ambiguous, but
cetainly not "cock jockey" and "cockholster," wherein "cock" can only be penile.

I didn't examine the web site too closely, but it is obvious that the
compilers have put quite a bit of care into it. I'm fairly convinced that they would
not confuse their penises (or, if they don't personally have them the penises
in their lives, if any) with their feces.

In other words, an absolutely cock idea is not the same thing as an
absolutely cack idea. By the way, many Americans also have "ka-ka" or "ca-ca" for feces
(as in Spanish). Of course, many Americans pronounce "cock" = penis with an
unrounded vowel, but I doubt that that is too important to the situation in
Singapore.