Reposado (1990); Cotija (1966); Gremolata (1977)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 22 06:00:50 UTC 2004

REPOSADOS

REPOSADO--29,000 Google hits, 1,200 Google Groups hits
REPOSADOS--2,770 Google hits, 92 Google Groups hits

   "Reposado" is not in the OED ("miserable on food AND DRINK").  John
Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999) has a "tequila" entry, but
no mention of it, either...I'm away from ProQuest right now.
   I had a late dinner/breakfast at Chevy's on 42nd Street (opposite the Port
Authority, when I leave on a bus in two hours).  Chevy's is "Fresh Mex."
Neither "Tex-Mex" nor "Cal-Mex" is in the LOS ANGELES TIMES through January 1,
1960.
   The Chevy's menu has "blancos" and "anejos" and "reposados"--"These are
'rested' tequila, aged from 2 to 9 months for a smoother taste."

(TRADEMARKS)(There are 21--ed.)
Word Mark   GRAN CENTENARIO REPOSADO TEQUILA 100% AGAVE-AZUL HECHO EN MEXICO

Translations    "GRAN CENTENARIO" may be translated into English as "grand
centennial". "REPOSADO" may be translated into English as "settled". "HECHO EN
MEXICO" may be translated into English as "made in Mexico". "AGAVE AZUL" may be
translated into English as "blue agave".
Goods and Services  IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: Alcoholic beverages, namely,
tequilaIC 042. US 100 101. G & S: Restaurant services
Mark Drawing Code   (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code  020325 200306 261120 261121
Serial Number   75383454
Filing Date November 3, 1997
Current Filing Basis    1B
Original Filing Basis   1B
Published for Opposition    May 2, 2000
Owner   (APPLICANT) Tequila Cuervo La Rojena, S.A. de C.V. CORPORATION MEXICO
Circunvalacion Sur #44A Zapopan Jalisco, Codigo 45070 MEXICO
Attorney of Record  LAWRENCE E ABELMAN
Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TEQUILA",
"AGAVE", and "HECHO IN MEXICO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark   TEQUILA EL TEQUILENO ESPECIAL REPOSADO
Translations    The word "TEQUILENO" may be translated as "a native born
person of Tequila, Mexico". The term "ESPECIAL" may be translated as "special",
and the term "REPOSADO" as "aged".
Goods and Services  (ABANDONED) IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: tequila
Mark Drawing Code   (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code  200310
Serial Number   74643685
Filing Date March 9, 1995
Current Filing Basis    1B
Original Filing Basis   1B
Published for Opposition    April 16, 1996
Owner   (APPLICANT) JORGE SALLES CUERVO Y SUCESORES S.A. DE C.V. CORPORATION
MEXICO LEANDRO VALLE No. 991 GUADALAJARA, JALISCO MEXICO
Attorney of Record  JOHN CLARKE HOLMAN
Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TEQUILA",
"ESPECIAL" and "REPOSADO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Description of Mark The lining is a feature of the mark and does not indicate
color.
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Abandonment Date    July 10, 1999

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark   REPOSADA TEQUILA CORRALEJO MIGUEL HIDALGO
Translations    The English translation of REPOSADO is RESTED.
Goods and Services  IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: Tequila. FIRST USE: 19961102.
FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19971010
Mark Drawing Code   (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code  180103 190903 200310
Serial Number   75391761
Filing Date November 17, 1997
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    August 22, 2000
Registration Number 2403105
Registration Date   November 14, 2000
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Moreno, Leonardo Rodriguez INDIVIDUAL MEXICO Arboleada
de la Hacienda, #42 Col Arboleadas Atizapan de Zaragoza Estado de Mexico MEXICO

Attorney of Record  JEFFREY A DRACUP
Disclaimer  NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "TEQUILA" and
"REPOSADO" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Description of Mark The mark consists of two labels. One small label,
appearing on the neck of the bottle, is lined to indicate illegal material consisting
of a gold emblem appearing between "Tequila" and "Corralejo". The large
label, appearing in the middle of the bottle, consists of the wording "REPOSADO,
TEQUILA CORRALEJO", the signature of "MIGUEL HIDALGO" and a horse and carriage
design. The shape of the bottle is not claimed as part of the mark and appears
in dotted lines. It is used to show the positioning of the mark.
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Other Data  The name "MIGUEL HIDALGO" does not identify a living individual.

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Good Reposados from Nogales, Mexico!
There's a one liter / person limit going over the border, by the
way. Do you mean duty free limit? I could have sworn the limit ...
alt.tequilla - Nov 24, 1997 by Jesse Sands - View Thread (2 articles)

Re: Cuervo
Jose Cuervo tequila is the best!I used to think the same thing, but I have
waked up to real blue agave tequila, Herradura Gold and other reposados! ...
alt.tequilla - Apr 22, 1996 by Wayne Nelson - View Thread (2 articles)

Re: Dynamite Margarita
... Although I do really like the Cuervo Reposado for shots -- makes them
almost
bearable (but then that's not the intent in the first place, is it?)! Hey!
rec.food.drink - Aug 5, 1992 by Dane Manes - View Thread (8 articles)

Re: Tequilas en Jap'on
#>El mar, 23 Jun 1992 19:32:03 CDT mi tocayo escribe: #> > # El tequila
Herradura reposado no es difi'cil #> >de encontrar en Chicago. ...
soc.culture.mexican - Jun 25, 1992 by Tena-Colunga - View Thread (13 articles)

Re: What are the three grades of Herradura Tequila?
... Toads. They also make cheap stuff.) Sauza Hornitos Reposado (I think
that that means "Sleeping Horny Toad") Very Good Tequila. Almost ...
rec.food.drink - Sep 27, 1990 by Robert W. Lesnick - View Thread (5 articles)

COTIJA

COTIJA--11,800 Google hits, 277 Google Groups hits

   This Mexican cheese was served at Chevy's.  The OED...well, it doesn't
have it.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Good Things In Peppers (was Re: Worm in my Habanero Peppers)
... I mixed some cotija cheese (a salty, somewhat feta-like cheese from
Mexico,
less sour than feta but saltier) with garlic, olive oil, cumin and thyme. ...

rec.food.cooking - Aug 13, 1993 by Scott Fisher - View Thread (6 articles

)Re: Carniceria terms
... molleja de pollo -- ?? of chicken queso Cotija -- I'm wagering this
is a place-name for a kind of cheese, but am unsure. chamorro ...
rec.food.cooking - Aug 5, 1992 by David Adams - View Thread (3 articles

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark    COTIJA
Goods and Services  (CANCELLED) IC 029. US 046. G & S: cheese. FIRST USE:
19681231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19681231
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   74684243
Filing Date June 5, 1995
Current Filing Basis    1A
Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    November 19, 1996
Registration Number 2039780
Registration Date   February 25, 1997
Owner   (REGISTRANT) COTIJA CHEESE COMPANY, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 15130
Nelson Avenue City of Industry CALIFORNIA 91744
Attorney of Record  Donald M. Cislo
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date   November 29, 2003

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark   COTIJA ANEJO
Translations    The English translation of "ANEJO" is "old".
Goods and Services  (CANCELLED) IC 029. US 046. G & S: cheese. FIRST USE:
19681231. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19681231
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   74684238
Filing Date June 5, 1995
Current Filing Basis    1A

Original Filing Basis   1A
Published for Opposition    January 28, 1997
Registration Number 2053939
Registration Date   April 22, 1997
Owner   (REGISTRANT) COTIJA CHEESE COMPANY, INC. CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 15130
Nelson Avenue City of Industry CALIFORNIA 91744
Attorney of Record  Donald M. Cislo
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
Cancellation Date   January 24, 2004

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Chronicle Telegram - 6/15/1985
...it it The two types of CHEESE involved are COTIJA and queso fresco, both
soft CHEESEs.....64 104 69 85 64 74 52 90 60 Nation Deadly CHEESE plant scoured
LOS ANGELES (AP.....or raw milk contaminated a Mexican-style CHEESE linked to
29 deaths, and they are.....off icials joined forces Friday to get CHEESE
made by Jalisco Mexican Products Inc..
Elyria, Ohio Saturday, June 15, 1985  472 k

Coshocton Tribune - 4/7/1966
...vermicelli (thin spaghetti', and oueso de COTIJA. a dried grating CHEESE
that Sra. van.....different milk used in manufacturing ter. CHEESE, and other
dairy prcKJucls is S3. 50.....substantially above market prices. No CHEESE has
been acquired or distributed for.....it is served without embellishment) with
CHEESE and chopped onion, and vegetables and..
Coshocton, Ohio Thursday, April 07, 1966  637 k

Gettysburg Times - 6/15/1985
...contamination was found in samples of COTIJA and queso fresco CHEESE
manufactured.....JUSE 15, 1985 28 deaths linked to rotten CHEESE By L1LA UTTLEJOHN
Associated Press.....linked two varieties of one manufacturer's CHEESE to more
than 80 illnesses that.....A statewide recall was ordered and the CHEESE
factory closed voluntarily Bacterial..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Saturday, June 15, 1985  461 k

Waukesha Freeman - 2/15/2003
...cheddar, salsa gouda, Hispanic CHEESEs like COTIJA and flavored goat
CHEESE as well.....more complex flavors, are popular, as are CHEESE blends,
washed-rind CHEESE, Hispanic.....southern breezes, Boyce said. Smoked-salmon CHEESE
comes from the Village CHEESE Co. in.....Inc. With ingredients blended in
during the CHEESE-making process, flavored CHEESE is one..
Waukesha, Wisconsin Saturday, February 15, 2003  517 k

Modesto Bee - 1/22/2003
...diced 1Vz teaspoons salt Vt cup grated COTIJA Vz cup grated manchego Vz
cup grated.....Vz cup carrot, grated cup Monterey jack CHEESE, grated Vt cup
fresh parsley, finely.....onions, sour cream and shredded Cheddar CHEESE.
National Cattleman's Beef Association.....BLACK-BEAN AND CHEESE TACOS 2 cups dried
black beans..
Modesto, California Wednesday, January 22, 2003  642 k

Times Recorder - 4/5/1966
...tomato broths vermicelli (thin and queso de COTIJA. a dried grating CHEESE
that Sra. van.....thick amp; cup crumbled American blue CHEESE (about 3
ounces) U cup Parmesan CHEESE.....it is served without embellishment with CHEESE
and chopped onion, and vegetables and.....is the subtly sharp flavor of American
blue CHEESE. VERSATILE CASSEROLE I package frozen..
Zanesville, Ohio Tuesday, April 05, 1966  729 k

GREMOLATA

GREMOLATA--11,500 Google hits, 289 Google Groups hits

This just arrived:
   April 2004, GOURMET, pg. 189:
CARROTS WITH GREMOLATA
A classic Italian topping, _gremolata_ is usually sprinkled over osso buco.

   The OED has...well, it doesn't have "gremolata."
   So I'm at the accountant last weekend with my sister, and I say, why don't
I just quit doing parking tickets 10 hours a day every day in a room with no
air, why don't I do an online dictionary of food and drink, maybe work more
for free for OED and the ENYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK.  I know it's
kind of a stretch, given that my work has never been mentioned in a single food
or drink article, not even about the "hot dog" that I did nine years ago, but
then again I've never been in NEW YORK or THE NEW YORKER or TIME OUT NEW YORK
or on tv or on the radio and I did lots of stuff for New York City, and I
can't even give "Windy City" to the Chicago Historical Society for free for ten
years now and still counting, and you try not to think about these things
because none of it makes sense...

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Technique Request: Consistency of Risotto
... herbs. A gremolata is marvelous if you're doing osso buco too. (Gremolata
:
minced garlic, grated lemon zest, chopped Italian parsley. ...
rec.food.cooking - Jul 3, 1990 by Scott Fisher - View Thread (3 articles)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mountain Democrat - 8/27/1991
...and delicious lowfat recipes PASTA WITH GREMOLATA GREMOLATA is a
combination of..
Placerville, California Tuesday, August 27, 1991  575 k

Gleaner - 4/25/2002
...egg and cheese dishes, soups, sauces. is GREMOLATA is a garnish of grated
lemon rind..
Kingston, Kingston Thursday, April 25, 2002  535 k

Daily News - 1/15/2003
...pork which she garnishes with a mustard GREMOLATA. Six desserts,
including..
Los Angeles, California Wednesday, January 15, 2003  249 k

Lethbridge Herald - 5/9/1977
...out osso bucco (braised veal shanks) with GREMOLATA. Many viewers .prefer
to watch..
Lethbridge, Alberta Monday, May 09, 1977  654 k

Frederick Post - 10/13/1993
...may be thickened, if desired.) Top with GREMOLATA (minced parsley, minced
garlic and..
Frederick, Maryland Wednesday, October 13, 1993  700 k