Lose head if not attached (1943); Chicken head (1889); Reposado; Gremolata

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Mar 23 04:50:32 UTC 2004

   Almost forgot something today.

LOSE/FORGET YOUR HEAD IF IT WASN'T ATTACHED

HEAD + WASN'T ATTACHED--2,940 Google hits, 775 Google Groups hits

   Not in OED or HDAS?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Zanesville Signal - 7/11/1943
...Darling, 1 think you'd lose your HEAD if it WASN'T ATTACHED to you." When Nan had learned.....an odd glove? It must still be there." It WASN'T. It took Joe Norton another six to.....A ring suggested the jeweler. Joe shook his HEAD. "Not even a he answered, gloomily, and.....taxicab I was taking off my gloves, and I WASN'T Oh, Joe took it like a man like a man..
Zanesville, Ohio   Sunday, July 11, 1943  808 k

Post Crescent - 7/14/1974
...for when you were a child? "If your HEAD WASN'T ATTACHED, you'd forget it. Now, at.....cancerous. The job of these drugs is to HEAD off the virus before it can convert the..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Sunday, July 14, 1974  222 k

Holland Evening Sentinel - 1/31/1957
...garden wall was grumbling. "If your HEAD WASN'T ATTACHED to your shoulders, you'd be.....25. Down. ingstreet 27. Music note 28. HEAD (slang) 29. tor CO.Tiles 33. Sacred bull..
Holland, Michigan   Thursday, January 31, 1957  1095 k

RUNNING AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF

LIKE A CHICKEN + HEAD CUT OFF--6,580 Google hits, 4,290 Google Groups hits

   Another heady Americanism.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   HE WAS HANGED.; REMARKABLE EXPERIENCE OF A LOS ANGELES MAN. Paralyzed, He Fell on the RailRoad Track in the San Fernando Tunnel and Was Pulled Off the Track in the Nick of Time. OUT OF THE JAWS OF DEATH. AS IF PACKED IN ICE. AN AWFUL ESCAPE. WILLING TO BE HANGED. HOW IT FELT. A QUEER SENSATION.
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Jul 15, 1889. p. 4 (1 page):
   In a few seconds I came to, and saw my feet jumping about like a chicken does with its head cut off.

   MAHONE'S FRAIL HOPES; TRYING TO BUY UP THE ELECTION JUDGES.USE FOR THE MONEY SUPPLIED FROM OUTSIDE--THE RIDICULOUS TALK OF A DUAL GOVERNMENT.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 30, 1889. p. 1 (1 page):
   "He is floundering about like a chicken with his head cut off."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lincoln Star - 7/9/1931
...wAs running About LIKE A CHICKEN with its heAd CUT OFF. MAnAger Confident Now. The.....in JAcobs is due to the fAct thAt Joe, LIKE MAx himself, now believes Schmeling to.....nightcAp thAt very effectively covered his heAd, comprising 84 yArds of cloth And.....Y., And NormAn dimming of Toronto teed OFF todAy in the first 18 holes of the 72..
Lincoln, Nebraska   Thursday, July 09, 1931  874 k

Gettysburg Compiler - 12/24/1932
...the cAt rAn Around LIKE A CHICKEN with its heAd CUT OFF. The demented pussy cAt heAded.....he hAs held since 1926. Atterbury RemAins OFF GenerAl W. W. Atterbury, who fell from..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania   Saturday, December 24, 1932  917 k

New Oxford Item - 12/22/1932
...the cAt rAn Around LIKE A CHICKEN with its heAd CUT OFF. The demented pussy cAt heAded.....Burke wAs humble. He stood with bowed heAd And tried to shield his fAce from the..
New Oxford, Pennsylvania   Thursday, December 22, 1932  746 k

Sheboygan Press - 6/2/1926
...Ad Is LIKE A CHICKEN thAt's just got Its heAd CUT OFF it wiggles for A while And then.....whAt is the honest citizen to do? He would LIKE to vote for the mAn of his choice but.....cAught up And soon will go AheAd. A level heAd will cArry you Along even you do hAve.....Women Are so vAin. They get their hAir CUT Almost As often As men. Most of those..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Wednesday, June 02, 1926  641 k

Iowa City Daily Press - 2/1/1908
...Acted kind o' LIKE A CHICKEN with its heAd CUT OFF till the boss got into the.....three 9 youne brood All bred; And ChinA 28 HeAd of 27 heAd ef" HAmphsire 1 HAmpshire.....boss's doin's. Yep. Lord thAr. gAng look LIKE we Are through with "em. Spendin' the.....rn1-1 w -'-.1. Dntr A OOfT' Boston. MAm tm. CUT Icon Bork on Skto CA., ViA suf rertng..
Iowa City, Iowa   Saturday, February 01, 1908  552 k

Broad Ax - 10/16/1897
...Lewis rushed Around LIKE A CHICKEN with its heAd CUT OFF while he wAs rAllying the.....by A. F. Doremus. H. F. EvAns rushed Around LIKE A li in A ChinA store, And swore he.....And severAl were thrown out oi' the TheAter heAd formost by the sergeAnt-At-Arms becAuse.....some of them declAred thAt they intended to CUT And slAsh the single gold stAndArd ticket..
Salt Lake City, Utah   Saturday, October 16, 1897  439 k

REPOSADO (continued)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
GLASS ACT; The Taming of Tequila GLASS ACT
JAMES CONAWAY. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: May 1, 1988. p. 453 (2 pages)
Pg. 453:  The best tequila--called _reposado_--spends a few months in a large redwood tank that gives it a golden tinge and added taste complexity.  One notable _reposado_ tequila is Cuervo Especial--the bestselling "gold" tequila in this country, where it costs about $10 a bottle.

(FACTIVA)(There are 423 hits for "reposado" + "tequila")
LCBO recalls all tequila brands
109 words
The Toronto Star
FINAL
A17
English
(Copyright The Toronto Star)

All brands of tequila sold in Ontario have been pulled from liquor store shelves after tests showed some bottles of each contained glass particles.

Jack Ackroyd, chairman of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario (LCBO), said new tests were ordered when it was learned all tequilas in Ontario come from the same source.

The tests found bits of glass in several bottles of Olmeca and Cuervo Especial Gold tequilas. Included in the recall is Hornitos Reposado. Tequila Sauza Silver was recalled last week, followed by Tequila Sauza Gold, when glass was discovered in some bottles. All bottles can be returned for full refunds.

GREMOLATA (continued)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
1. A Winter Special
By CRAIG CLAIBORNE. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 26, 1961. p. SM105 (1 page):
   As a final fillip before serving, the dish is sprinkled with _gremolata_, a traditional combination of chopped parsley, garlic and grated lemon peel.

   2. DINING OUT; Italian Delights
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 8, 1976. p. 352 (1 page)

  3. Article 6 -- No Title
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 27, 1976. p. 48 (1 page):
   Mince the remaining two cloves of garlic and combine with parsley and lemon peel.  SPrinkle the mixture, called gremolata, over the veal and serve immediately.

   4. Q&A
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 13, 1979. p. C9 (1 page):
Q.  I have a recipe for veal shanks Italian style that calls for gremolata.  Would you please tell me what this is and how I can obtain it?
A.  Gremolata, or gremolada, is a flavorful garnish used chiefly for ossobuco or baked veal shanks in Italy.  It consists of finely chopped garlic, persley and grated lemon grind.  This is generally added toward or at the end of cooking time.  It gives an excellent and characteristic zest to the dish.  If there are other uses for the blend, I am not aware of them.