"All broth and no beans" & "Fine as cream gravy" (Two from Texas)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 25 14:27:07 UTC 2004

   Two more "food" Americanisms.  They both seem to be from Texas, where our
digital resources are a bit weak right now.

ALL BROTH AND NO BEANS

ALL BROTH + NO BEANS--9 Google hits,  no Google Groups hit

(GOOGLE)
President Bush's 100% Foolproof National Security Strategy, As ...
... heel. He's as sharp as mashed potatoes and as full of wind as a
corn-eating
horse. But mostly, he's all broth and no beans. And ...
www.whitehouse.org/news/2002/092502.asp - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Texas Monthly: Texas Sayings
... He thinks the sun comes up just to hear him crow. He's all broth and no
beans. He
broke his arm patting himself on the back. More Sayings. Advertising
Sections. ...
www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sayings/boastful.1.php - 20k - Cached - Similar
pages

MORE Texas Talkin...
... He thinks the sun comes up just to hear him crow. He's all broth
and no beans. He broke his arm patting himself on the back. To ...
www.beer-bytch.com/texastalk2.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Texas Sayings about being Boastful and Big
... He thinks the sun rises jest to hear him crow. He's all broth and no
beans. Hell, he'll break his arm to pat hisself on the back. Hes ...
www.geocities.com/theladyrebel60/sayings.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

..84 nations........ - www.ezboard.com
... say. Its that he's all broth and no beans. He couldn't pour rain out
of a boot with a hole in the toe and directions on the heel. ...
www.celloheaven.com/mbarchs/2001/june2/84nation.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar
pages

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
No hits

FINE AS CREAM GRAVY

FINE AS CREAM GRAVY--27 Google hits, 1 Google Groups hit
FINE LIKE CREAM GRAVY--no Google hit, no Google Groups hit

   Not in the HDAS, which has "fine as wine."

(GOOGLE)
Lone Star Chicken Fried Steak with Cream Gravy Recipe on The ...
... milk. And incidentally, for a Texan to say that something is "fine
as cream gravy" is high praise indeed! Ingredients for 4 people. ...
www.theworldwidegourmet.com/meat/ beef/texas-lonestar.htm - 8k - Cached -
Similar pages

Becker History 1890-1900
... Not many other men could hold a candle to you as far as I’m concerned.
That
land you gave us is fine as cream gravy, and everyone I know agrees. ...
www.becker.k12.mn.us/ourtown/1890's/narritive.html - 9k - Cached - Similar
pages

[PDF] Conference Brochure FINAL-web changes.indd
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends visiting
our text version of this document.
... clothes, rather than plain range-riding or work clothes Eureka ~
victorious discovery
Fandango ~ a very lively dance or party Fine as cream gravy ~ very good ...
www.nhfa.org/education_PDFs/may04_convention-pg2.pdf - Similar pages

Texas Monthly: Texas Sayings
... through the cloud. I'm cooking on a front burner today. She's got
a lot of stars in her crown. Fine as cream gravy. More Sayings. ...
www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sayings/happy.1.php - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

Gift Wrapping
Click to enlarge We'll wrap yer gift "in apple pie order" usin' our purty
gift
boxes, ol' west wrappin' paper and our "fine as cream gravy" Gold Mountain
www.goldmountainmining.com/giftwrapping.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Creation Corral
The precision of our artisans is as fine as cream gravy -- just watchin’
‘em figure out how to go about a project is pure-d-pleasure.
www.ranchhousetradingco.com/41.html - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

MORE Texas Talkin...
... I felt any better, I'd drop my harp plumb through the cloud, I'm cooking
on a front
burner today, She's got a lot of stars in her crown, I'm fine as cream gravy
www.beer-bytch.com/texastalk2.htm - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Black & Decker TRO1000 Toaster Oven Review at Epinions.com
... Decker Electronic Toast-R-Oven Broiler TRO1000 (you really have to intone
that, with
all the drama of a '40s radio announcer) – is fine as cream gravy for my ...
www.epinions.com/content_77887868548 - 60k - Cached - Similar pages

OLD WEST SLANG AND PHRASES, A Writer's Guide
... Fetch me that hammer." / "He fetched him a punch in the nose.". Fight
like Kilkenny
cats ~ fight like hell. Fine as cream gravy ~ very good, top notch. ...
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~poindexterfamily/ OldWestSlang.html - 36k -
Cached - Similar pages

Cowboy Words - [ Translate this page ]
... Fight like Kilkenny cats* ~ kämpfen wie die Hölle. *Fine as cream gravy*
~ sehr
gut, spitze. *Fish* ~ Cowboy-Regenmantel, nach einem Hersteller, dessen. ...
mitglied.lycos.de/reling2/worte.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Slang
... Fetch me that hammer." / "He fetched him a punch in the nose." Fight like
Kilkenny
cats ~ fight like hell. Fine as cream gravy ~ very good, top notch. ...
zoron.org/deadlands/slang.htm - 22k - Cached - Similar pages Hope Part 13
... Hey Vin - how’re you doing?”. “Fine as cream gravy...got
ourselves a card game going. You want in?”. “No thanks Vin. ...
www.angelfire.com/journal/fourcorners/hope13.html - 17k - Supplemental Result
- Cached - Similar pages