In defense of journalists

Sallie Lemons SalLmns at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 25 19:12:19 UTC 2004

Although I haven't written in a very long time, this subject is close to my
heart. I am a graduate of Columbia's J-School. I know the rigors of both
graduate school and television news. When working for a book publisher, I also had
the experience of dealing with a local reporter who was very eager to make her
mark by creating a sensational aspect to a story from her own imagination.
>From my perspective, all you can hope for is getting the facts straight. That
isn't always easy and it can be an evolving process. The pressure to be seen as a
singular talent propels people in directions they should not go and is often
a mark of the inexperienced. Perhaps arrogance has different hues or, in the
case of the NYT, different bow ties. I'll follow this thread with some interest.