History lived forward, written backward; Two chances: slim and none

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 26 08:02:46 UTC 2004

HISTORY IS LIVED FORWARD AND WRITTEN BACKWARD

HISTORY + LIVED FORWARD + BACKWARDS--250 Google hits, 231 Google Groups hits
HISTORY + LIVE FORWARD + BACKWARD--365 Google hits, 22 Google Groups hits

   "Mr. Chairman, we all know that history is lived forward and written
backward" said Madeleine Albright at the 9-11 Commission Hearings on Tuesday.
   THE DAILY SHOW's Jon Stewart thought about this last night.  "I think
that's Hebrew!" he said.
   The phrase is sometimes "written backward(s)" or "read backward(s)" or
"understood backward(s)" or "examined backward(s)."  Sometimes "forward" is first
and other times "backward(s)" is first.
   Sometimes it's credited to Dame C. Veronica Wedgwood and somes it's
credited to Soren Kierkegaard.
    Fred Shapiro will surely sort this out.

(WWW.QUESTIA.COM)
The Two Koreas: A Contemporary History
Book by Don Oberdorfer; Addison-Wesley, 1997
Subjects:   Korea (South)--History--1960-1988, Korea (South)--History--1988-,
Korea (North)--History
...in my earlier works, I was inspired by a quotation from Dame C. Veronica
Wedgwood, a British historian -- "History is written backward but lived
forward. Those who know the end of the story can never know what it was like at the
time." What follows...

Divine Violence: Spectacle, Psychosexuality & Radical Christianity in the
Argentine "Dirty War"
Book by Frank Graziano; Westview Press, 1992
Subjects:   State-Sponsored Terrorism--Argentina--History--20th Century,
Violence--Argentina--History--20th Century, Torture--Argentina--History--20th
Century, Social Psychology--Argentina, Argentina--Politics And
Government--1955-1983
...Chapters 2 through 5) that manifests and constitutes it as "a language in
the process of formation." 7 1. History is lived forward but read backward .
What the actors in any given historical sequence live as an "open work"
characterized by...

(WWW.GOOGLE.COM)
Don Oberdorfer on The Paula Gordon Show
... Oberdorfer bows to renowned British historian Dame Veronica Wedgewood
who said, “History is written backward but lived forward. ...
www.paulagordon.com/shows/oberdorfer/ - 16k - Mar 25, 2004 - Cached - Similar
pages

Pioneer Press | 03/25/2004 | 9/11 COMMISSION: Panel provides ...
... Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright said it best in her
testimony before
the 9/11 commission Tuesday: History is lived forward and written backward.
www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/ news/editorial/8267287.htm - 38k - Mar
25, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

As Various As Their Land: The Everyday Lives of Eighteenth-Century ...
... Using the Revolutionary War as an example, the author points out that:
"...while
history is written backward, it is lived forward, and for the people who ...
www.literaturehistoryhub.com/
As_Various_As_Their_Land_The_Everyday_Lives_of_EighteenthCentury_Americans_1... - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

freedomforum.org: Opening address: 'History denied: restricting ...
... assassinated. Nixon didn’t know he would have to resign. It has always
been said that history is lived forward and written backward. I ...
www.freedomfor

Statement of Richard Reeves on Presidential Records
... assassinated. Nixon didn't know he would have to resign. It has always
been said that history is lived forward and written backward. With ...
www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2002/041102reeves.html - 20k - Cached - Similar
pages

CNN.com - Transcripts
... this. Stay with us. (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP) ALBRIGHT: Mr. Chairman, we all
know that history is lived forward and written backward. What ...
edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0403/23/i_ins.01.html - 43k - Mar 25, 2004 -
Cached - Similar pages

canadiancomment
... .. Mr Chairman, we all know that history is lived forward and written
backward.
Much seems obvious now that was less clear prior to 11 September. ...
canadiancomment.no-ip.com/ - 91k - Mar 25, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE)
algfront
... FIDUCIARIES, MEASURES, OPTIMIZATION, TOPOLOGY, HISTORY, LIFE, & ... Life
can only be
understood backwards, but must be lived forward ," Sören Kierkegaard. ...
Category: Science > Math > Algebra > High School
members.fortunecity.com/jonhays/algfront.htm - 9k - Mar 25, 2004 - Cached -
Similar pages

Looking Backwards: Rosemary Passantino's paper
Looking backwards: Human memories in hypertexts. ... Graham sees the angel of
history
propelled into the ... Kiekegaard agreed - "life is lived forward, but
understood ...
www.wordcircuits.com/htww/passantino.htm - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

Athabasca University offers a variety of undergraduate History ...
... perhaps, you should consider taking history because the ... Kierkegaard,
if life must
be lived forward, it can only be comprehended backwards, retrospectively. ...

<FONT  COLOR="#008000" BACK="#ffffff" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 PTSIZE=10 FAMILY="SAhistory.athabascau.ca/histatau.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages The Riddle
of Humanity --- The Spiritual Background of Human ...
... Rudolf Steiner The Spiritual Background of Human History Fifteen Lectures
... Kierkegaard
that "Life can only be lived forward and understood backwards." I'm ...
home.earthlink.net/~jeauxy/trhrvw.htm - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

famous quotes from famous people.
... of peace. ", History. Kierkegaard, Soren, "Life must be understood
backwards. But it must be lived forward. ", Experience. Kierkegaard ...
www.studyworld.com/newsite/Quotes/ QuoteByAuthor.asp?i=K - 38k - Cached -
Similar pages

TWO CHANCES--SLIM AND NONE

TWO CHANCES + SLIM + NONE--520 Google hits, 832 Google Groups hits
TWO CHANCES + SLIM + NONE + AND SLIM--126 Google hits, 151 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE)
Oxford Student: 30th October 2003: Peter's on Pulse
... conversion, some of the New players probably heard Don King's words
ringing in their
ears - "You've got two chances: Slim and None. And Slim just left town". ...
www.oxfordstudent.com/2003-10-30/sport/2 - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Chick Hearn - Wikipedia
... below.'; "He has two chances, slim and none, and slim just left the
building":
The player has no chance of success with this play. "The ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_Hearn - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Re: Up sh\*\* creek without a paddle, etc.
... Nunn used to be the name of a department store here in Australia) Well,
the way
I see it, son, you've got just two chances: Slim and none. And Slim just left
rec.humor - Jan 21, 1994 by ALAN WRIGHT VEROSTICK - View Thread (4 articles)

Re: 'Huskers (from across the border)
... FSU in Orange Bowl: Two chances for Nebraska to win-slim and none. (and
Slim's out
of town) Sorry to be saying it, but I don't know if anybody- including Pope
rec.sport.football.college - Nov 10, 1993 by Paul L Pearson - View Thread (12
articles)

calculus book on disk
Index Number: 28342 There are two chances you'll ever find this book.
They're slim and none and slim left town about 100 years ago. ...
misc.handicap - Mar 26, 1993 by Jude DaShiell - View Thread (1 article)

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lima News - 9/20/1961
...TWO CHANCES to break the record tonight. SLIM and NONE. "You know whal it
takes to hit.....collected .one infield single, a walk and TWO "loud" fouls in
nine trips to the plate.....each time someone asks Ivm to evaluate his
CHANCES of smashing Ruth's record within th-j.....Ok, then. That's what I'm going
by." Only SLIM Chance Off Man's' showing Tuesday night..
Lima, Ohio Wednesday, September 20, 1961  758 k

Valley Independent - 7/19/1962
...Rodgers at 15-1. Barber described his TWO CHANCES as "very SLIM and NONE
all." Manager.....champion Jerry Barber, who said he had "TWO CHANCES" in this
big one, and little.....They also had played together in the first TWO rounds
of the U. S. Open last month and.....after that winning streak and was out for
TWO weeks and then Don Leppert banged up his..
Monessen, Pennsylvania Thursday, July 19, 1962  681 k

Valley Independent - 1/20/1962
...runs and doesn't bear out I've got TWO CHANCES. .SLIM and NONE at all."
Stengel.....hole medal play tournament. They will play TWO rounds each day in
threesomes. .Sam is.....their unbeaten streaks in Saturday night's SLIM
schedule, curtailed by semester.....Wichita, meets Idaho for the second game in TWO
nights at Moscow. Second-ranked..
Monessen, Pennsylvania Saturday, January 20, 1962  706 k

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Frederick Post - 2/6/1986
...already passed the MarylAND Senate have TWO CHANCES in the House Judiciary
Committee.....SLIM "AND NONE. AND SLIM just left town. Members wfll.....six
newly minted coins TWO half-dollars, TWO silver dollars AND TWO gold
pieces.....I carry all the time. It has not one but TWO blades. The big blade is almost
TWO..
Frederick, Maryland Thursday, February 06, 1986  587 k