Walk and Chew Gum (1965?); So Old School...; Tom Fuller (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Mar 27 05:40:39 UTC 2004

WALK AND CHEW GUM

   Our earliest "walk and chew gum," when discussed about a month ago, was
this:

Even earlier, Newspaperarchive.com has:

1967 _Lethbridge_ (Alberta) _Herald_ 8 Apr.  The office wit says he'llnever
take his wife skiing again ... he says she's so uncoordinated that she can't
even walk and chew gum at the same time.

It could still be that the Johnson comment is the origin, if it reliably
dates from before 1967.

Fred Shapiro

   I re-checked.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Lima News - 9/30/1965
...that he can't chew hisTornado offense? GUM AND WALK at the same; The only
similarity.....Gilliam had opened the inning with a WALK AND took second on a
ground out. Maloney.....six innings AND yielded all five runs AND six hits. He
WALKed seven AND fanned only.....for second-place had1 "We're in our worst
AND only money. The Dodgers are in AND were..
Lima, Ohio Thursday, September 30, 1965  838 k

Times Recorder - 1/20/1966
...so un-coordinated that he couldn't WALK AND CHEW GUM at the same By Victor
Biesel Strike.....Lud is also one of the fastest moving cloak-AND-dagger
legislators on Capito Hill AND.....member of Congress who is on House Banking AND
Currency Committee AND urge his support.....terms of time lost from work,
wages lost, AND the cost of treating the disease AND its..
Zanesville, Ohio Thursday, January 20, 1966  717 k

Lethbridge Herald - 4/8/1967
...uncoordinated that she can't even WALK AND CHEW GUM at the same fcse he
also says his.....than you can say Toe Bleke is a bubble GUM addict is bound to
have a rather.....12 goals AND 26 assists in 53 games, AND Red Kelly 38
points, 14 goals AND 24.....of seven one-over-par holes, ex birdies AND five pars
for. a 73 AND a 36-hole score..
Lethbridge, Alberta Saturday, April 08, 1967  849 k

Stevens Point Daily Journal - 5/23/1966
...so muscular "he'd have trouble WALKING AND CHEWING GUM at the same time.
He'd just as.....football, basketball, wrestl, track, golf AND baseGiese. the
son of Mr. AND Mrs.....For1 that the good athlete is a lousy tune AND Dave
Prutz. Both Mosey AND Fortune.....gwsts was the appearance of of ANDerson AND
GraGreen Bay Packer tackle AND bowski in..
Stevens Point, Wisconsin Monday, May 23, 1966  706 k

Daily Times - 12/29/1966
...I was so uncordinated I couldn't WALK AND CHEW GUM at the same time."
Mamie Van Doren.....the fielder led the AL in batting, homers AND RBI's, AND won
the MVP award: "Robinson.....there. The Spartans, who were the shakes, AND in
Kenmore, scored 24 points AND beaten.....performed by Nicholas. Charles 0.
Finley "AND he's just so kind to my wife AND ed fie A..
Salisbury, Maryland Thursday, December 29, 1966  591 k

Tri City Herald - 2/29/1968
...coach who once said 1 couldn't CHEW GUM AND WALK at the same time." At
Goddard's.....trembling, they were gotten up cautiously AND gradually. AND we
didn't realize that it.....helped by early ambulation. The patient is AND, as was
customary, he was sitting up, AND.....To adults it's going back, j To
teen-agers AND youngsters j it's like today. AND they're..
Pasco, Washington Thursday, February 29, 1968  540 k

SO OLD SCHOOL...

   This was in Friday's NEW YORK POST.  There are many Google hits, but not
for the POST's "old old school" joke.

(GOOGLE and WWW.NYPOST.COM)
New York Post Online Edition: sports
... He even wore a tie and jacket to Knick practices. To steal a line, he was
so
old school that they knocked down his school to build the old school. ...
www.nypost.com/sports/16098.htm - 22k - Mar 26, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

* Lenny Lewin, who covered sports for The Post for 30 years, died Monday at
87. Lewin was old school. He even wore a tie and jacket to Knick practices. To
steal a line, he was so old school that they knocked down his school to build
the old school.

(GOOGLE)
U-Daily News - MUSIC
... Fittingly, in a year sporting an appearance by Little Richard ("I'm so
old school
the building wasn't even there yet'), SXSW '04 seemed to be about history ...

u.dailynews.com/ Stories/0,1413,211~23540~2038746,00.html - 40k - Mar 26,
2004 - Cached - Similar pages

hewlett's daughter: sara hebert
*2004-03-25 *5:57 pm *i'm so old school, they tore the school down.
i can flow. i can freak. i can freak and flow at the same time. ...
mariogirl.diaryland.com/ - 13k - Mar 26, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Quotes
... the Wizard explains chaff "You're so old school, the school wasn't even
built..."
Joe explains Ray Please feel free to send me something to post.
home.cogeco.ca/~grizzlyrafting/quotes.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

TOM FULLER

   I don't know what DARE or the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND
DRINK will have for "Tom Fuller."  John Mariani has an entry in his ENCYCLOPEDIA
OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999).
   Newspaperarchive wasn't too helpful.  I tried "Tom Fuller," "Thomas
Fuller," and "Tom Fulla."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Daily Review - 9/9/1900
...bins on the -mtimi. You must eat'some 'TOM FULLER' before you go away or
they will.....mam met him. Colonel Bai-tlett fish -as TOM Pointing talks Hcrel"
mis or W. Brcnncman.....easier way uf obtaining 'them. The low but'TOM.s of
the Illinois overllow every and when.....he grounds will be n Wg kettle where
t'he 'TOM. iP.uller' 13 made. This is something..
Decatur, Illinois Sunday, September 09, 1900  769 k