Keep up with the Joneses (1894?, 1913); Keep your nose clean (1877)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Mar 29 06:31:40 UTC 2004

KEEP UP WITH THE JONESES

   Gregory Titelman writes: "The precise origin of this saying is unknown, but in 1913 Arthur R. ("Pop") Momand adopted it as the title for a series of cartoons published in the New York _Globe_ and other papers."
   I didn't expect to find anything earlier.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Ohio Democrat - 2/15/1894
...and THE Kniselys, when THEy can KEEP UP WITH THE SMITHS and THE Joneses. Our.....M. C. A. Lecture Course. March 9th, 1894, "UP THE Rhine and Oyer THE Major Henry C. Dane.....Directory shows THE names cf 30 .SMITHS, 30 Millers, 29 Joneses, and 28.....that stop THE paper WITHout settling UP: Take THE year you were born in and add..
New Philadelphia, Ohio   Thursday, February 15, 1894  900 k

KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN

   Titelman has: "The proverb has been traced back to _Tragedy in E Flat_ by L. R. Gribble (1938)."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
   FIFTY YEARS AGO; OR, THE CABINS OF THE WEST.; No. 3.
ROSELLA RICE. Arthur's Illustrated Home Magazine (1873-1879). Philadelphia: Mar 1875. Vol. 43, Iss. 3; p. 149 (6 pages)
(I didn't see it--ed.)

   The World of Humor.
Saturday Evening Post (1839-1885). Philadelphia: Mar 19, 1881. Vol. Vol. 60., Iss. NO. 35.; p. 14 (1 page):
   A youth invested a dollar and a half in a New York firm to discover "How to appear well in society."  The receipt which he received by return mail was short, simple, and easily understood:  "Always keep your nose clean, and don't suck more than one finger at a time."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Fort Wayne News - 6/21/1919
...people's business." 'Advice. Just KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN and behave, ..And poverty .won't.....Gabb. "The Greecian replied Mr. Gabb. "The NOSE I admire most is the NOSE that is kept.....government warehouses "Why scheme about to KEEP this off the American market and send it.....who have such a lovely job in a nice, CLEAN hotel where we have the esteemed honor..
Fort Wayne, Indiana   Saturday, June 21, 1919  820 k

Indiana Democrat - 5/31/1877
...anil easily understood "Always KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN, and don't suc.k.more than one.....Proprietor. Ing all logs necessary to KEEP tlie mills well supplied with logs for.....run the risk. About this time my son read YOUR advertisement in our paper, a testimony.....VEUET1NE, and I recommend it to my friends. YOUR Vegetine ought to be In every family. My..
Indiana, Pennsylvania   Thursday, May 31, 1877  791 k

Bridgeport Telegram - 10/1/1918
...t worry. 'i, KEEP YOUR feet warm. KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN. Eat slowly. Do YOUR best. Mind.....JUST ftHD, REAUUY ONE MUST KEEP ABREAST OFTHE STVLE5? IT fRoh ME .THAT.....a swig out of a flask of his famous x 'NOSE Paint.' %vhat wonld the name of the.....of It. WHAT DO VA LUCK.? WORRIED BECAUJCT KEEP INS TULLER R HEALTH Anclrew F. Currier..
Bridgeport, Connecticut   Tuesday, October 01, 1918  773 k

Washington Post - 3/3/1921
...catarrh Relief so quickly. Adv. KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN common colds are infectious and.....Is cash in Problems. Hew can parents best KEEP in touch with their children's school.....colds. Cold gisrUJB will not thrive In a NOSE that la kept i lean and wholesome. Mayr.....Head-CoUs. Iris Spleadu) Tn one iblnute YOUR doffed AOattlll Of en, the air passages..
Washington, District Of Columbia   Thursday, March 03, 1921  495 k

Herald And Torch Light - 7/18/1877
...and easily understood "Always KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN, and do not suck morettaa one.....thc above is jus the thing yon want to KEEP YOUR Harness, Boots, Shoes and Buggy.....Think of it If you should hereafter whip YOUR child, I wish you could have YOUR..
Hagerstown, Maryland   Wednesday, July 18, 1877  1003 k

Coshocton Tribune - 3/3/1921
...is seriously iJi their home on KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN Common colds arp infectious and.....colds. Cold germs will not thrive in a NOSE that Is kept CLEAN and wholei some. Mayr.....break up colds, too It's comforting to KEEP it handy. Three sizes 35c. 70c, ?1.40.....all reliable pharmacists the country over. KEEP in mind the name. Dr. Carey's "Marshroot..
Coshocton, Ohio   Thursday, March 03, 1921  598 k

Trenton Evening Times - 11/18/1920
...iT-c.rininp by nbnm'nnttii: ;f KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN until 1ft" n 'T v fa i No. lOdi B.....r "it to timt .thi K XTwent on With any "CLEAN-Up." l.-Birn.if d. ad. It would not Int.....CANDY .You .will be satisfied if you, buy YOUR Candy here. We have the largest.....town. Just Received The best candies marie, YOUR choice can easily be" mads from the..
Trenton, New Jersey   Thursday, November 18, 1920  719 k

Olean Democrat - 8/25/1887
...and easily understood: "Always KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN, and don't suck more than one.....which will come across the ocean. Leave YOUR orders for new Parlor and odd pieces..
Olean, New York   Thursday, August 25, 1887  679 k