Origin of "p*ss and vinegar"?

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Tue Mar 30 23:37:11 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Le May" <blemay0 at MCHSI.COM>
Subject: Origin of "p*ss and vinegar"?

> I don't have access to any of the wonderful books I see cited here, and a
> friend asked me where this phrase might originated.  I didn't find
anything
> in the ADS email archives.

Then you should bookmark a site--
http://alt-usage-english.org/concordance_interface.shtml

This wonderful work has an index which will link you in many cases to online
answers on words and phrases, in this case
http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20000308 Jesse Sheidlower's
old office.  And your answer.

The other sources on that main site that are trustworthy are
http://www.worldwidewords.org/index.php , member Michael Quinion's great
work, http://www.wordorigins.org/homepage.htm#search member Dave Wilton's
equally fascinating page, and http://www.word-detective.com/index.html, the
home of member Evan Morris, another solid page writer.
I hesitate to tell you to trust everything you find on  pages other than
those four.    If I overlooked anyone, I apologize.

SC