Chicago Tribune update; Afro American & "cool," "push/shove," "Big Apple"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 1 11:19:26 UTC 2004

CHICAGO TRIBUNE UPDATE

   It's May, so I thought I'd inquire about the digitization progress of the
Chicago Tribune.  Here it is.
   Get ready for your ice cream "sundae," "red hots," "hot dog," "Thousand
Island dressing," "Greek salad," "BLT," "shrimp de Jonghe,"  ...

Subj:   RE: Chicago Tribune progress; APS Online update?
Date:   5/1/2004 5:40:45 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:   Christopher.Cowan at il.proquest.com
To: Bapopik at aol.com
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Hello, Barry,

Good to hear from you again.  We're just about to release 1890-1922 for the
Chicago Tribune within the next two weeks.  The earlier years (back to 1849)
will be released late this summer.  With respect to APS, I'll forward your
message to the publishers in charge of that product line so they can respond more
accurately on its status.

While Variety and New York Clipper hold considerable value, the broader
market interest doesn't seem to have strong enough interest for us to invest in
digitizing their back issues.  Now, if we could find someone willing to pay for
the digitization, I'd be glad to build those publications as well.  In fact,
we've begun offering digitization services to publishers and libraries to help
make their archives more accessible.  If you happen to come across interested
parties, please feel free to have them contact me.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Cowan
Vice President, Publishing
ProQuest Information & Learning
300 N. Zeeb Road
Ann Arbor, MI  48106-1346
Ph: 800-521-0600, ext. 6204
Ph: 734-975-6204
Fax: 734-975-6271

---------------------
AFRO AMERICAN

   Paper of Record has digitized a good portion of the Batimore, Maryland
AFRO AMERICAN.  I checked "cool jazz" (see the most recent AMERICAN SPEECH) and a
few other terms.

COOL JAZZ
   12 January 1952, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore), pg. 2, col. 1:
   There wasn't a "square" in the joint.  (...)  "I solemnly swear that I
will dig the sounds, be goofed by the sounds, and uphold the sounds against the
ravings of infidels like Guy Lombardo and Vaughn Monroe." (...)
   Now for the happenings.  The concert began at three-thirty in the
afternoon.  Some 160 patrons of the cool jazz were crammed into the cozy grotto under
the hotel.
(...)(Col. 2--ed.)
   And this young lady who sang.  Oooh!  That's what she made everyone gasp.
Oooh!  Her voice slid up and down over pretty ballads with effortless ease.
She had the "cool" crowd in the palm of her hand.

GROOVE
   11 February 1928, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore), pg. 3, col. 4:
   He delpored the fact that the modern Negro writer is traveling in a groove
that is apparently set by literature critics of the Nordic race who feel that
the Negro writer should only write about the throbbing, lower passions of the
race; and it seems that the Negro writer is traveling along the groove.

   25 July 1931, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore), pg. 20, col. 6:
   His life had been moulded (Col. 7--ed.) and poured into a groove by his
grandmother and grandfather.

   26 September 1931, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore), pg. 19, col. 4:
   Mr. Kirkley apparently assumes the same swarfed conception of most of his
race, that his own group can run the gauntlet of art, but the darker brother
must be confined to a narrow groove that allows expression only to his natural
talents.

PUSH COMES TO SHOVE
MAGAZINE DESK | June 8, 1997, Sunday (NY TIMES archives--ed.)
Push Has Come to Shove
By William Safire (NYT) 1536 words
Late Edition - Final , Section 6 , Page 24 , Column 4

   18 July 1953, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore, MD), pg. 7, col. 3:
   "I could do anything in the field except split rails, and if push came to
shove I would have even tried that."

BIG APPLE
   14 September 1935, AFRO AMERICAN (Baltimore), pg. 12, col. 5:
   Down at 135th Street and Seventh Ave., the Big Apple, a hotcha night spot,
added to its signs "Headquarters for Baptists."