Busier than cranberry merchant (1895); Beer on whiskey (1926)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 2 01:37:30 UTC 2004

BUSIER THAN A CRANBERRY MERCHANT

CRANBERRY MERCHANT--120 Google hits, 8 Google Groups hits

   One of several "busier than" phrases, and a bit puzzling to us today.  Not that I know any cranberry merchants personally.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
!TEXAS POLITICS EVOLVES
... recently, too. Our friends on the Christian right will be busier
than a cranberry merchant at Thanksgivin' on Tuesday. Naturally ...
talk.politics.misc - Mar 28, 1996 by Hanson - View Thread (1 article)

Re: Winter in Paradise report (very long)
... long snake in a mall parking lot A one-armed paper hanger A hooker on a troop train
A one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest A cranberry merchant in November ...
alt.culture.us.1970s - Jan 31, 2004 by Tee King - View Thread (11 articles)

Cute 'Sayins'
... You look like you've been run over by a Mack Truck." If you are really busy, then,
"You're as busy as a cranberry merchant in November; busy as a mosquito at a ...
alt.fifty-plus.friends - Aug 4, 2001 by SLS - View Thread (4 articles)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
AND IT WAS WINDY WEATHER.; Lively Movement of Real Estate in Fine Particles.
The Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Apr 5, 1895. p. 10 (1 page):
   The high wind yesterday did more business than a cranberry merchant in the course of its gay career around the corners of Los Angeles.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
THE WISDOM OF CUDDYHUMP.
Tom P Morgan. Puck (1877-1918). New York: Dec 4, 1907. Vol. 62, Iss. 1605; p. 0_10 (1 page):
   "I has found out dat if yo' fool anybody besides yo'se'f for any great spell it's uhgwine to keep yo' 'bout as busy as a cranberry merchant uh-sellin' of 'em a berry at a time,...

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Idaho Daily Statesman - 1/4/1898
...fortunes and; is today makiag niouey liko a CRANBERRY MERCHANT. "4-New York New York..
Boise, Idaho   Tuesday, January 04, 1898  682 k

Edwardsville Intelligencer - 12/10/1897
...fortunes and is today making money like CRANBERRY MERCHANT. New York Press. the Right..
Edwardsville, Illinois   Friday, December 10, 1897  940 k

Grand Rapids Tribune - 3/14/1906
...hand [Krowers would than the proverbial CRANBERRY MERCHANT, aud that meaim that lie.....Office, 164. Residence, 351 i AMONG CRANBERRY MEN. EDITED BY W. H. FITCH. f Ail 1.....which mean friends of tho popular CRANBERRY buyer an.l distributor. The Pro 11.....will uterest you in tho manufacture of four CRANBERRY barrels, If you will advise us whet..
Grand Rapids, Wisconsin   Wednesday, March 14, 1906  1000 k

BEER ON WHISKEY

BEER ON WHISKEY--26 Google hits, 38 Google Groups hits

   Ancient drinking proverb.

(GOOGLE)
The Top 13 Little-Known Rules of Beer Drinking (Part I)
... Beer on whiskey, mighty risky; whiskey on beer, all is clear; beer on your
shirt, take my word, friend: You're *so* not getting laid tonight. ...
www.topfive.com/arcs/t5062602.shtml - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

miss veen: the 10 golden rules for beer drinking
... 9. Beer on whiskey, mighty risky; whiskey on beer, all is clear; beer on your
shirt, take my word, friend: You're *so* not getting laid tonight. ...
www.wunderblogs.com/missveen/archives/001323.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

An end to campus rumors
... 3. Remember this little rhyme, and you will have less intense hangovers, I
promise. Beer on whiskey, mighty risky. Whiskey on beer, in the clear. ...
www.kstatecollegian.com/issues/v100/ sp/n149/op-guyton-thur.html - 6k - Cached - Similar pages

Gaters.net - Cheap Beer
... night. As for mixing your drinks: "Beer on whiskey, mighty risky,
whiskey on beer never fear." If it rhymes it's gotta be true. ...
www.gaters.net/showthread.php?t=6738&page=2 - 96k - Cached - Similar pages

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Daily Times News - 4/9/1968
...WHISKEY ON BEER, Never fear, But BEER ON WHISKEY, Pretty risky." You've heard that. It.....customers switch to BEER, but more if BEER-drinking customers switch to WHISKEY.....of liquor who know they'll sell less if WHISKEY-drinking.....close out and begin new ONe senior officer ON Gei. Wil liam C. Westmorland's staff said..
Burlington, North Carolina   Tuesday, April 09, 1968  547 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
POST-SCRIPTS
By GEORGE ROTHWELL BROWN. The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jan 8, 1926. p. 1 (1 page):
_"Whiskey on beer, never fear;_
_Beer on whiskey, rather risky."_
   Evelyn Nesbitt, pale and thin, admits she mixed 'em both with gin, and yet reformers try to drill us into believing hootch will kill us.  We learn from this--at least we ought'r never to take a chance on water.

Risk in Beer; Whisky on 3.2 Is Same as Other Combination, Prisoner Finds.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jul 25, 1933. p. 20 (1 page):
   "Beer on whisky is very risky," according to the old saying, but whisky on beer may be just as dangerous, according to Police Judge Ralph Given.

A Cheever Sampler
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 19, 1982. p. 17 (1 page):
   " Advice to my sons," it read.  "Never put whisky into hot water bottle crossing borders of dry states or countries.  Rubber will spoil taste.  Never make love with pants on.  Beer on whisky, very risky.  Whisky on beer, never fear." ...--The Wapshot Chronicle.