Cookie Duster (1925); George Marshall's West Point football player; Crooked as Snake Barrel

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 3 02:01:23 UTC 2004

COOKIE DUSTER

   A mustache.  Somewhat related to American food.  The HDAS has 1930.
  Why cookies?  Aren't they usually eaten by people too young for a mustache?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Van Nuys News -  8/17/1933
...comes back from Camp Seeley minus nis COOKIE-DUSTER (mustache) which leaves him..
Van Nuys,  California     Thursday, August 17, 1933   640 k Â

Appleton Post Crescent -  11/17/1925
...unseemly privileges these days with my "COOKIE DUSTER." (A friend in the office of..
Appleton,  Wisconsin     Tuesday, November 17, 1925   771 k Â

Morning News Review -  11/25/1927
...tetter WM recently received tddrcsaed to COOKIE DUSTER. That's dies. Min you see moth..
Florence,  South Carolina     Friday, November 25, 1927   649 k Â

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
STUDY OF CHILD LABOR FINISHED; Secretary Davis Files Report for Current Year Canneries in East and Midwest Surveyed Enforcement Effort by States Seen
Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 29, 1926. p. 7 (1 page)
_Cookie Duster_
_Today's Bane_
_For Colleges_
   NEW YORK, Nov. 28. (AP)--"Cookie Dusters," 1926 models of the milksop, are the bane of college life, delegates to the interfraternity conference were told yesterday.

GEORGE MARSHALL WANTS A FOOTBALL PLAYER

GEORGE MARSHALL + WEST POINT + FOOTBALL PLAYER--30 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
GEORGE C. MARSHALL + WEST POINT  +FOOTBALL PLAYER--91 Google hits, 6 Google Groups hits

(GOOGLE)
PoughkeepsieJournal.com - West Point
... George Marshall (a VMI grad) as saying: ‘‘I need an officer for a secret
and dangerous mission. I want a West Point football player.’’. ...
www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/projects/ west_point/wp051202s10.shtml - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

   A photo of a football player with the West Point plaque is in Sunday's NEW YORK POST.
   When did George Marshall say this?  Does Fred Shapiro have it?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mansfield News Journal -  9/29/1963
...a secret and DANGEROUS MISSION. I want a WEST POINT FOOTBALL PLAYER." That statement.....a bronze plaque outside Michie Stadium at WEST POINT is written "I want an officer for.....a selfish slacker. There's no place in FOOTBALL for that kind. FOOTBALL can make.....in less than three months. Who should play FOOTBALL? 1. Only boys who want to play..
Mansfield,  Ohio     Sunday, September 29, 1963   246 k Â

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Memories of Former Greatness Linger; First of a series Army Has Football Memories, but Little Glory at Present
By Jane Leavy Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Nov 27, 1979. p. D1 (2 pages)
First page:  People have been making the equation between the Army and the Army football teams for a long time.  Gen. MacArthur did it and his words are bronzed on the wall outside the gymnasium.  Gen. George C. Marshall did it during WW II and his words are bronzed on the south wall of Michie Stadium: "I want an officer for a secret and dangerous mission.  I want a West Point football player."

CROOKED AS A BARREL OF SNAKES

CROOKED AS A BARREL OF SNAKES--28 Google hits, 33 Google Groups hits
CROOKED AS A BARREL OF WORMS--0 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits

   The lodge where I stayed in Namibia had a snake farm.  I didn't see any barrels.
   A snake might be crooked, by why would the barrel be?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Manitowoc Herald Times -  8/11/1962
...And cAlled the bill AS "CROOKED AS A bArrel OF WORMS." 16 SenAtors MAnsfield sAid.....OF RepublicAn LeAder Everett M. Dirksen OF Illinois AS well AS himself. Under the.....16 senAtors. If it should win the support OF two-thirds OF the senAtors voting TuesdAy.....for todAy's session. He hAd spoken FridAy AS opponents OF the meASure resumed A..
Manitowoc,  Wisconsin     Saturday, August 11, 1962   1071 k Â

Lancaster Eagle Gazette -  8/11/1962
...And cAlled the bill AS "CROOKED AS A bArrel OF WORMS." MAnsfield sAid he wAS.....OF RepublicAn LeAder Everett M. Dirksen OF Illinois AS well AS himself. Under the.....16 senAtors. If it should win the support OF two-thirds OF the senAtprs voting TuesdAy.....thAn Accept SenorAns. SenorAns served AS the first chief OF stAff After the..
Lancaster,  Ohio     Saturday, August 11, 1962   881 k Â

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Senate Passes Satellite Bill by 66-11 Vote; SATELLITE BILL
Los Angeles Tmes (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 18, 1962. p. 1 (2 pages)
Second page:  Pastore hotly recalled on speech in which he said Long had called the bill "just as crooked as a barrel of worms."
   "Let's not get into personalities," Long said, adding that he could not recall the quote.  The Congressional Record has him referring to the bill last Friday as being "as crooked as a barrel of snakes."