Fw: Marshall West Point story

Alan Baragona abaragona at SPRYNET.COM
Tue May 4 01:19:24 UTC 2004

Marshall storySorry, I meant to send the previous message in Plain Text.
Here is is again.

I contacted a friend at the Marshall Library to ask about the quotation.
Here is his response.  Forrest Pogue has written several books on Marshall,
for which see

http://library.vmi.edu/search/apogue/apogue/1,3,8,B/exact&FF=apogue+forrest+c&1,6,

I've asked for a more specific reference to Pogue's work on this particular
question, and I'll get back to you if I get one.

Alan Baragona

-----Original Message-----
From: Blandli at marshallfoundation.org [mailto:Blandli at marshallfoundation.org]
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 7:58 PM
To: Baragona, Alan
Subject: Marshall story

Alan: Forrest Pogue spent considerable time on this story years ago. He
believed that Red Reeder (WWII Pacific hero and later, I think, USMA
football coach or AD) expanded considerably upon something Marshall may have
said one time. It is hard to imagine Marshall's saying that he wanted a West
Point football player, although he perhaps believed that an athletically
inclined man might do better than an average person. There is no way of
proving or disproving what Reeder said Marshall said. And since it's cast in
bronze, it must be true by definition.
Larry Bland