Sunday throat (1905); Peas with a knife (1828); Ears lowered (1947)

Wilson Gray hwgray at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue May 4 01:16:41 UTC 2004

In my childhood in the East-Texas town of Marshall, I often saw our
family's visiting "country-folk" relatives pour hot liquids from the
cup into the saucer and then sip from the saucer. I was astounded when
I first saw it, since this act was already such a standard put-down of
the hick lifestyle (early '40's) that I didn't believe that anyone
actually did it in real life. After that, I wouldn't have been
surprised to see these relatives eat peas with a knife (likewise
already a well-known put-down), but I never actually saw it done. I
agree that representations of these customs were a staple of cartoons
of the day, e.g. "L'il Abner," by Al Capp. But my feeling is that these
cartoons, etc. were meant to ridicule the folkways of hicks and yokels,
especially those of the South.