Do it yourself (1863); Snake bite (1909); Cuss a cat (1950)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 4 03:26:15 UTC 2004

   Thanks to Sam Clements for "late to dinner."  I knew it had to be much older.  I had searched "dinner/supper," but forgot the "for/to."

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF

DONE RIGHT + DO IT YOURSELF--22,100 Google hits, 8,510 Google Groups hits

   Probably much older than this.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Indiana Evening Gazette - 4/17/1933
...By Cliff Sterret WHEN V'WANT A THING DONE RIGHT, DO IT YOURSELF SEZ I DONJ T THANK.....HE HlMMEl VOT l> I THE NEWFANGLES LEAVE IT TO AL By Cowan MOT A CHANCE HE TOO BUSY..
Indiana, Pennsylvania   Monday, April 17, 1933  673 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   Display Ad 18 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Apr 19, 1897. p. 10 (1 page):
   And you know the old saying--"if you want a thing done right, do it yourself."

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
CROMWELL'S EXAMPLE.
Saturday Evening Post (1839-1885). Philadelphia: Nov 21, 1863. p. 3 (1 page) :
   An old maxim says that if you would be certain to have a thing done right, do it yourself;...

IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME, DON'T DO THE CRIME

DO THE TIME + DON'T DO THE CRIME--3,250 Google hits, 26,500 Google Groups hits

   A modern classic that has escaped most books of quotations.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   Judicial Crackdown Seen Cutting Robberies; Court Crackdown Cuts Robberies
By Paul W. Valentine and Alfred E. LewisWashington Post Staff Writers. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Aug 3, 1976. p. C1 (2 pages)
First sentence of first page:
   The word on the street is, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

   'Just a Boy In a Man's Boy': The Saga of a Backwoods Killing; Paw Paw: Saga of a Backwoods Killing A Boy in a Man's Body
Special to The Washington PostBy Herb Perone. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Mar 6, 1977. p. 172 (3 pages):
Pg. M4:  "He could do the crime, but he couldn't do the time," one Maryland police officer familiar with Parker says.

   TV: Life in 'Video City'
By JOHN J. O'CONNOR. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 17, 1978. p. C21 (1 page):
   Miss Barrat's video work will be shown next month at the Whitney Museum of American Art under the street-language title of "If You Do the Crime, You Do the Time."

   A Mother's Hope Penetrates Bars
C.V. Garnett. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Nov 2, 1990. p. 16 (1 page):
   But the saying goes, "If you do the crime, do the time."

IF IT WERE A SNAKE, IT WOULD BITE YOU

SNAKE, IT WOULD BITE YOU--59 Google hits, 27 Google Groups hits

   I didn't find many hits for this.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
FIIO||j^O|iiplHNERS; Prizes WP: Be Aysrarde^ fcy The , Post oii Marclt it. uru:uuouuu'-uu . ' v Full, List of 'Correct Answers, With the Names of the Last Success- ful Competitors. I
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Mar 7, 1909. p. 14 (1 page) :
48--If it were a snake, it would bite you.

(From a list of 60 proverbs--ed.)

IF YOU'RE EVER DOWN BY THE RIVER, DROP IN

DOWN BY THE RIVER + DROP IN--557 Google hits, 225 Google Groups hits

   Very funny.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mansfield News - 3/26/1910
...EIN. "I will be DOWN BY THE RIVER if your'e DOWN way. DROP IN." KleIN is sendINg.....THE philosophical comment that no man is DOWN until "boxed up and nailed IN, a skull.....I said What, is THE matter with that bank DOWN THEre? I can't stand this for ever.....to THE district attorney, has broken DOWN completely and is now a nervous wreck..
Mansfield, Ohio   Saturday, March 26, 1910  886 k

IRISH AS PATTY'S PIG

PATTY'S PIG--47 Google hits, 19 Google Groups hits

   Maybe some of the Irish on this list know this.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Frederick Post - 12/5/1975
...spot for lunch called O'Leary's. Irish as "PATTY'S PIG" and the best corn beef and.....awesome process of carving a roast suckling PIG, turkey or pheasant, dismembering a..
Frederick, Maryland   Friday, December 05, 1975  639 k

Salisbury Times - 3/13/1952
...a New THE CAKE OF THE WEEK IS IRISH AS PATTY'S PIG Two Delicious f olden layers..
Salisbury, Maryland   Thursday, March 13, 1952  614 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   ' Odd Man Out,' British Film in Which James Mason Again Is the Chief Menace, Has Its Premiere at Loew's Criterion
By BOSLEY CROWTHER. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 24, 1947. p. 30 (1 page):
   But Dennis O'Dea is sobering as a constable and Robert Beatty, Kitty Kerwin and many others are as richly and roundly Irish as Patty's pig.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU WANT, BUT WHAT YOU GET, THAT MAKES YOU FAT

   Couldn't find it on Google, although people have been getting fat.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Sheboygan Press - 8/4/1933
...s not WHAT YOU want; it's WHAT YOU GET THAT MAKES YOU FAT. Q. Where persons, for.....questionable statements THAT men could not GET the benefits of this act without joining.....too little. Purchasing power is WHAT MAKES productive activity. Productive.....Act will work has to ask is, "Can we GET all employers in America to do about the..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Friday, August 04, 1933  946 k

Nevada State Journal - 7/26/1933
...isn't WHAT YOU want, but WHAT YOU GET, THAT MAKES YOU FAT." 2 Are Enrolled at Camp in.....YOU reporters and photographers have got to GET out of here." Aimee sat up straight and.....Publication of the law in the Monitor MAKES it effective. The new regulations.....of the shipbuilders. But Johnson had to GET; in. touch, with Mr. Roosevelt and..
Reno, Nevada   Wednesday, July 26, 1933  1038 k

I SAW A SAW IN ARKANSAS

   Gotta be much older than this.  I think Sam Slick said this in the 1830s.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Red Bluff Daily News - 2/14/1970
...CROSSWORD "Ouolify No I SAW A SAW SAW IN ARKANSAS, I NEVER SAW A SAW SAW LIKE THE SAW.....I SAW SAW THAT HAD MEN SHARPENED AT BLUFF KEY.....LAbor Services Division sAys lAst month sAw An INcreAse IN fArm employment. HeAvy.....Under Roof 6 STEPS TO SATISFACTION IN OUR SAW SUROfRT SHOP Electric imprINtINg of..
Red Bluff, California   Saturday, February 14, 1970  631 k

IT WAS SO CROWDED YOU COULDN'T CUSS A CAT WITHOUT GETTING HAIR IN YOUR MOUTH

CUSS A CAT--52 Google hits, 19 Google Groups hits

   The story of my apartment.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Reno Evening Gazette - 6/11/1953
...KEAL ESTATE 62 ENUFF Eooin to CUSS A CAt KEAL ESTATE 62 INCOME PROPERTY 63.....Love Tt Roust Oroiind Filet HeArt. Liver CAt Mix VITAMIN LOAFI MEAT LOAFI MAde Ftrsh..
Reno, Nevada   Thursday, June 11, 1953  784 k

Commerce Journal - 1/14/1965
...Around the college Are "not wide enough to CUSS A cAt And Asked for to widen streets on..
Commerce, Texas   Thursday, January 14, 1965  439 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/7/1953
...139 W. VirginiA Phone 2-9177 ENUFF Boom to CUSS A CAt This reAlly chArming 2 bedroom.....Lv Jet., CAL Pet.. CAl. JO SO Lv Chllcoot, CAt Lv 10 ;15 Lv Vlnton, CAl. L.V 10 :40 Ar.....CAL Lv 2 :00 12 :15 Ar SAtttey. CAt LviAO VIRGINIA TBUCKEB TRANSIT COMPANY..
Reno, Nevada   Sunday, June 07, 1953  711 k

News - 1/22/1997
...ve hAd A kitchen thAt wAs "too little to CUSS A cAt try this one from MAe DonAhoo of.....their eggs in the sAme bAsket" And "could CUSS you out more wAys thAn A fArmer cAn go.....My kitchen is so smAll, if you CUSSed A cAt in it you'd get hAir in your mouth." For.....They were Asking whAt kind of food we cAt. And he sAid. We eAt every pAr' of the..
Frederick, Maryland   Wednesday, January 22, 1997  687 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/6/1953
...139 N. VirginiA Phone 2-9177 ENUFF Room to CUSS A CAt This reAlly chArming 2 bedroom.....Bt. RoAd ____ Phone_2-4672 LOST: SiAmese cAt vicinity Monroe St. MAy 30, 1953..
Reno, Nevada   Saturday, June 06, 1953  680 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/10/1953
...IEAL ESTATE 62 ENUFF J.oorn to CUSS A CAt This reAlly chArming 2 bedroom..
Reno, Nevada   Wednesday, June 10, 1953  775 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/5/1953
...SINELIQ 138 N. VlriinlAPhone ENUFF Boom to CUSS A CAt TbU churning 9 Mdioom full.....NEVADA HUMANE SOCIETY, Mill St. Phone LOST: cAt vicinity Menroe St. MAy 38. 19S3. to.....40 Ar LoyAltou, CAl. 11 :00 Ar SlerrAvllle, CAt 12 :15 Ar SAttley. CAl Lv 5 :15 Lv5K..
Reno, Nevada   Friday, June 05, 1953  709 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/9/1953
...KM. ESTATE 62 ENUFF Boom to CUSS A CAt ThlA reAliy chArming 2 bedroom.....Love n RoAst Oround Filet Stew HeArt Uver CAt Mix VITAMIN LOAF MEAT LOAFI MAde Frdsn..
Reno, Nevada   Tuesday, June 09, 1953  798 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/15/1953
...St. Phone 2-7103 Res. S-8726 ENUFF Eoom to CUSS A CAt This reAlly chArming 2 bedroom..
Reno, Nevada   Monday, June 15, 1953  666 k

Waukesha Daily Freeman - 2/2/1950
...WARDROBE'S SO SMALL WONT IT YOU COULDN'T CUSS A CAT IN YOUR WAY WITHOUT GETTING HAIR..
Waukesha, Wisconsin   Thursday, February 02, 1950  815 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
 1. LBJ Decries U.S. Health 'Gap'
By John Maffre Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Dec 13, 1968. p. A10 (1 page):
   A $54-a-day hospital room that wasn't big enough to "cuss a cat in"--that's what bothered President Johnson when he went visiting last Sunday.

   2. Eastgate Tries Harder To Solve Housing Woes; Troubled Eastgate Tries to Solve Its Housing Woes
By Thomas W. Lippman Washington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Feb 20, 1974. p. A1 (2 pages)