E for Effort (1940)

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Wed May 5 02:44:11 UTC 2004

  Bob Fitzke wrtes:
>It seems to me that the original "E for Effort" was a government award to
>defense contractors during WW II. On the other hand, my being old enough to
>remember that probably brings the accuracy of my memory into the equation.
I was going to post my similar recollection.  I remember the blue banner
with the script E surrounded by laurel leaves in gold that was the emblem
of this award.  I remember being unsure whether it was E for Effort or E
for Excellence. It may have been the War Production Board that made the
award.  In those days we didn't euphemize military stuff so much.  We had a
War Department, not a Defense Department, for example.
A. Murie