E for Effort

Sean Fitzpatrick grendel.jjf at VERIZON.NET
Thu May 6 02:24:59 UTC 2004

In parochial school in Washington, D.C., in the 1950s, we got grades of S, I, and U:  Satisfactory, Improvement needed, and Unsatisfactory.  The public school kids used a different system, and my recollection is that E for effort was a grade given in non-academic subjects.  I have no idea what you got if you slacked off at kick-ball or class-room spirit.

In "A for Effort", effort is being considered not as a quantity on a dimension such as gym, or art, but as a separate dimension; hence the "A" is appropriate.

Seán Fitzpatrick
Help the ontologically challenged realize their potential

http://www.logomachon.blogspot.com/