Left-handed monkey wrench (1873)

Page Stephens hpst at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu May 6 13:53:28 UTC 2004

Barry's upload brings up an interesting topic.

There are a lot of gags which people use to introduce the novice into their
culture.

A couple which I have used in my checkered life are once you have passed
over a rail crossing you tell the sucker, "I
notice that a train just passed." Then when they bite and ask you how you
know you reply, "I can see its tracks."

Ever pole a hog? The gag goes as follows: You look up into an oak tree and
then say to the sucker, "Damn. We're going to have to pole the hogs this
year." When the sucker bites and asks you what you mean you reply, "Well
some years the frost comes too late and the acorns stay up in the tree where
the pigs can't get to them so you have to sharpen a pole and stick it up the
pig's ass and lift it up to the tree so that it can eat the acorns."

Left handed monkey wrenches, sky hooks, snipe hunts, etc. fall into this
category of insider jokes designed to make the novice look foolish.

The humor is essentially an initiation ceremony and once the sucker passes
the test they end up being an insider themself.

While researching this subject - I was attempting to discover what a "swan
necked valve" might or might not be - I ran across the following url which
you might find interesting.

http://members.shaw.ca/diesel-duck/lounge.htm

Not all such statements are designed to fool the novice, of course, because
I remember the time that my friend the folklorist Archie Green and I were
walking across the University of Illinois campus, and Archie who had earlier
had a career as a carpenter heard a high pitched whine. Archie said, "That's
a Skil Saw."

He was correct but not being familiar with the tool I wouldn't have
recognized its sound from a hole in the ground though now I know how to
identify it.

Page Stephens