Mountain Oysters (1857)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri May 7 02:01:33 UTC 2004

In a message dated 5/6/2004 9:31:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
SClements at NEO.RR.COM writes:

> >    I've been re-checking the progress of Colorado's Historic Newspaper
> > Collection, and I'm proud to say that I now discovered that I have better
> balls:
>
> While yours are older, they are not necessarily better.
>
> SC

   Oooh, I hate that guy!
   So much for looking for "mountain oysters" in the Rocky Mountains.  It's
here on a nice food menu from Baltimore.

(WWW.PAPEROFRECORD.COM)
   21 July 1857, WASHINGTON STAR (DC), pg. 2, col. 2:
   _Entrees_--Filets de boeuf, Madeira wine sauce; petits pates, a la reine;
sweet bread, larded, gardinere sauce; filets of veal, perageaux sauce; vol au
vent, a la financier; young chickens, Maryland style; mountain oysters, sauce
royale; beuder, a la Richelieu, tomato sauce; lamb chops, soubaise sauce;
timbale de macaroni, milinaise; galantine de poulets.