_bell can't be unrung_?

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri May 7 22:26:08 UTC 2004

        Maybe the poster also heard the NPR interview?  The unrung bell is a metaphor that's been around for a while (I can take it to 1933), and my quick check indicates that it is not experiencing any dramatic resurgence in vitality (e.g., only 11 uses this year in Westlaw's allnewsplus database).

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Sam Clements
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 5:32 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: _bell can't be unrung_?

OK.  I've been asleep.  I just read a thread over at Straightdope, where a poster said "of course, the bell can't be unrung now."   That by itself wouldn't have caused me to wonder, but I  heard an interview on NPR this morning where virtually the same phrase was used(which obviously stayed in my mind).

I understand the meaning.  But, did someone just send out instructions by email that this is the phrase for May, or am I just living in my own little world.  Some of you who read more/listen more than I may know.  Any ideas who must have kicked off the (soon-to-be overused) phrase recently?

Sam Clements