Pave (1903); Chocolate Silk (1966); "Hay and Straw" Pasta (1968)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 9 00:43:03 UTC 2004

PAVE

  Some OED-type person asked this:

Do you have anything interesting on "pave" (e-acute) in
food, i.e. a roughly rectangular block of something
(esp. dessert)? The only thing in the archives is something
from a menu in Turkmenistan.

THE ESCOFFIER COOKBOOK:
A GUIDE TO THE FINE ART OF FRENCH CUISINE
   THE CLASSIC WORK BY THE MASTER CHEF
by Auguste Escoffier
New York: Crown Publishers, Inc.
1960 (First published in 1903--ed.)

Pg. 571:
1743--PAVE OF FOIE GRAS LUCULLUS _Pave of foie Gras Lucullus_

(It's probably also in Charles Ranhoffer's THE EPICUREAN (1896)...So I walk into the NYPL, one of the world's greatest food libraries.  And I request THE ROYAL PARISIAN PASTRYCOOK AND CONFECTIONER (1834), a classic book by Marie Antonin Careme, one of the world's greatest chefs.  And, of course, it's missing, from the "high security" rare books division no less--ed.)

CHOCOLATE SILK

CHOCOLATE SILK--4,390 Google hits, 757 Google Groups hits

  I don't think I posted this before.  Even I miss some chocolate stuff.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Sheboygan Press -  8/1/1966
...cherry cream cheese pie, "pink French CHOCOLATE SILK pie, daffodil cake.....chose an empire-styled A-line gown of SILK peau with a corde beaded bodice..
Sheboygan,  Wisconsin     Monday, August 01, 1966   815 k

Walla Walla Union Bulletin -  8/1/1966
...cherry cream cheese pie, "pink French CHOCOLATE SILK pie, daffodil cake..
Walla Walla,  Washington     Monday, August 01, 1966   932 k

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
DINING OUT; Good Food in Lambertville
By FRANK J. PRIAL. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 13, 1977. p. 413 (1 page):
  A fan of the Broadmoor had extolled, among other things, the French chocolate silk pie, but had warned that it must be ordered in advance.

Family Out; A Weekly Guide to Family Dining
By Evelyn Wade. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Oct 20, 1977. p. 167 (1 page) :
  A wine list was available as well as dessert including cheese cake or rum-flavored chocolate silk pie, each at $1.25.

HOMEMADE; ICE CREAM FRENCH CHOCOLATE SILK FAVORITE PEACH ICE CREAM VANILLA BEAN ICE CREAM ROCKY ROAD
Kirsten A. Conover Staff writer of The Chirstian Science Monitor. Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Aug 29, 1991. p. 14 (1 page)

  June 1986, WINE AND FOOD, pg. 86:
CHOCOLATE SILK
(160 CALORIES PER SERVING)
Dense, dark and delicious, this creamy dessert is a lightened version of a classic _pots de creme au chocolat_.  If you succumb and top it with the optional whipped cream and pistachios, it's still only 200 calories per serving.

HAY AND STRAW PASTA

HAY AND STRAW PASTA--25 Google hits, 1 Google Groups hit (alt.fan.cecil-adams!)
STRAW AND HAY PASTA--90 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits

  I was passing by Avalon at Park Avenue South and 18th Street, and this is on the menu there.
  Not in OED.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
Straw and Hay Pasta with Littleneck Clams
Paglia E Fieno Alle Vongole (Straw and Hay Pasta with Littleneck Clams) Source:
Progresso ad (4 servings) 3 pounds (about 24) littleneck clams 1 cup green ...
alt.cooking-chien - Mar 19, 2000 by Cryambers - View Thread (1 article)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Article 45 -- No Title
Christian Science Monitor (1908-Current file). Boston, Mass.: Jul 12, 1968. p. 6 (1 page):
  The pasta-maker told me that on Sundays he has terrific demand for "straw and hay"--thin strips of green and natural-colored pasta.

Adding to That List of Things We Couldn't Do Without
By Craig Claiborne. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973). Washington, D.C.: Sep 13, 1973. p. F3 (1 page)
***Caffe da Alfredo
17 Perry Street, New York, N.Y.
(...)
  The restaurant's menu is limited, but Alfredo's is worth a visit if only to sample the pasta.  In particular, we admired their _paglia e fieno alla Romana_, a marvelous blend of freshly cooked white and green spaghetti--_paglia e fieno_ means straw and hay--tossed together with cream, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and excellent cubes of fennel-flavored sausage.
    The chef, who is Genoese,...

The Best Way to Solve Any Macaroni Crisis: Flour, Eggs and Care
By JOHN L. HESS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 6, 1973. p. 62 (1 page):
  Mrs. Hazan describes how to make pasta in her new "The Classic Italian Cook Boo" (Harper's Magazine Press).  The other day, she demonstrated at home with paglia e fieno, "hay and straw"--a batch of golden egg pasta and another of egg and spinach, both cut into fettuccine and served alla ghiotta, in a sauce of cream, ham and mushrooms.

Restaurants; How Do You Pick Those Places Anyway?
John Canaday. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 7, 1976. p. 69 (1 page):
  A "hay and straw" mixture of fine, thin, white and green noodles with a creamy Alfredo-type sauce, bits of ham and a sprinkling of green peas, it was just plain delicious and would have made a great main dish.

Romeo & Juliet: The Hay and Straw Is Downright Delicious; Dresden, a graduate of le Cordon Bleu'Ac4demie de Cuisine de Paris, is the author of two books and writes frequently for gourmet publications. DINING
by Donald Dresden. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Nov 21, 1976. p. 276 (2 pages)

DINING OUT; Imperfect Elegance La Pace
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Nov 12, 1978. p. LI19 (1 page) :
  A bland rendition of paglia e fieno ("straw and hay"--thin green and white noodles) was a less successful pasta dish.

DINING OUT Saturday Night's Fare; La Viola
By FLORENCE FABRICANT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Apr 1, 1979. p. LI112 (1 page):
  Paglia e fieno ("Straw and Hay") is given an extra colorful accent by the addition of homemade carrot pasta to the traditional mixture of slender egg and spinach noodles.

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Mansfield News Journal -  2/15/1976
...CANDy Coffee Tea "Recipe Given STRAW AND HAY FETTUCINI cup butter or.....Marilyn Hansen makes a quick-AND-easy PASTA dish. "First cook your noodles AND..
Mansfield,  Ohio     Sunday, February 15, 1976   268 k

Post Crescent -  2/15/1976
...MARILYN'S MENU Consomme With Sherry STRAW AND HAY Green Salad Variation.....Marilyn Hansen makes a quick-AND-easy PASTA dish. cook your noodles AND says..
Appleton,  Wisconsin     Sunday, February 15, 1976   396 k

Frederick Post -  3/22/1984
...or cooked immediately. Paglia E Fione (STRAW AND HAY) The following is one of.....taste AND texture of fresh homemade PASTA. Dispelling the fattening myth is..
Frederick,  Maryland     Thursday, March 22, 1984   579 k

Chronicle Telegram -  10/15/1986
...a combination of both referred to as "STRAW AND HAY." A light garlicy sauce.....touch to a light AND elegant seafood PASTA entree. We've come a long way..
Elyria,  Ohio     Wednesday, October 15, 1986   511 k