Pavé

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Sun May 9 16:56:30 UTC 2004

My experience from having lived in France for a little while and still spending
as much time as I can there (in Normandy) is that the French themselves most
often use *pavé* in the phrase *pavé de boeuf*, meaning of course a steak of
that shape.

It may be, though, that that's simply a reflection of my holiday-home being in
Normandy, a cattle-rearing area.  A quick Google reveals that the 'steak'
meaning of *pavé* is only just more common than the 'squarish dessert' meaning,
in both English and French websites, once you've filtered out all the sites
about paving the way for the re-admittance to France of British beef after
BSE.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania