Stud-muffin

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Sun May 9 17:04:01 UTC 2004

Last night I came across a definition of *stud-muffin* in a slang dictionary I'd
recently bought.  It's from 1990 and obviously such things, almost by
definition, age quickly, so its definition is almost guaranteed not to be
current any more by now.  Nevertheless, it adds a new element to the
definitions of the term that we've seen so far, so I thought I'd offer it
here.

*stud-muffin* 'An immodest good-looking guy.'

The 'immodest' bit hasn't been mentioned here before.  It seems to be connected
with the same dictionary's definition of *stud*:

*stud* 'Once a sexy male, increasingly a male who thinks he is *cool/hot/fresh*
but is not.  Loser; person who is strong and athletic but still a loser.'

Citation:

Dickson, Paul (1990) *Slang!  The topic-by-topic dictionary of contemporary
American lingoes* (New York: Pocket Books)

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania