Ezekiel Bread (1973); AAC; Agnoletti (1930); Far Out, Brussel Sprout

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 9 22:42:56 UTC 2004

EZEKIEL BREAD
 Â  Â
EZEKIEL BREAD--1,520 Google hits, 204 Google Groups hits
BIBLE BREAD + EZEKIEL--119 Google hits, 8 Google Groups hits
FASTING BREAD + EZEKIEL--52 Google hits, 10 Google Groups hits
 Â  Â
 Â  This is seen at plenty of health food stores. Â It's not in that blasphemous OED.
 Â  This surely goes way, way back, but where are the hits? Â Why not a single citation in the full-text CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR?
 Â  What, you think they serve popcorn and Goobers at that Mel Gibson movie?
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: carolreu at interl.net (carolreu at interl.net)
Subject: Ezekiel Bread
This is the only article in this thread
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Date: 1999/08/11

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

 Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Ezekiel Bread / Bible Bread/ Ezekiel 4:9

Recipe By     : rec foods archieves
Serving Size  : 1    Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- Â ------------ Â --------------------------------
   8      cups          wheat flour
   4      cups          barley flour
   2      cups          soy bean flour
   1      cup           lentils -- cooked and mashed
     1/2  cup           millet flour
     1/4  cup           rye flour
   1 1/2  cups          warm water
   1      tablespoon    salt
   5      tablespoons   olive oil
   2      packages      yeast, dissolved in 1/2 c warm water
   1      tablespoon    honey

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and let set for 10 minutes. Â Mix the other dry
ingredients in separate bowl. Â Blend lentils, oil and small amount of water;
place in large mixing bowl with remaining water. Â Stir in 2 cups of mixed flour.
Add yeast mixture. Â Stir in remaining salt and flour. Â Knead on floured surface,
then place in oiled bowl. Â Let rise until double in bulk. Â Knead again; shape
and place in greased loaf pans. Â Let rise. Â Bake 375 for 1 hour. Â Makes 4
loaves.
(FACTIVA)
THE BIBLE INSPIRED EZEKIEL BREAD
By Cleora Hughes Of The Post-Dispatch
608 words
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
FIVE STAR LATE LIFT
10
English
Copyright 2004, St. Louis Post-Dispatch. All Rights Reserved.

"I want to share a recipe for Ezekiel bread that came from my friend Nelda Hawley, whom I first met in 1943 at Harding College in Searcy, Ark.," wrote Gail Kommer of Grover. "I'm sure she would be especially happy to see her recipe in the food section, as she is ill and not able to bake the bread anymore."

Ezekiel bread is also known as Bible bread or fasting bread.

"Her husband, Roger, now makes it and is kind enough to offer a loaf to me. Any kind of grain (or other starch) can be used, including millet, beans, lentils, barley and spelt. He sometimes adds wild grains he finds along the roadside or even birdseed.

"In Ezekiel 4:9, God tells (Ezekiel) that this is what he must eat when he is sent into the desert to cleanse the country of idolatry.

"It is delicious when toasted and topped with honey and peanut butter, but it must be kept refrigerated. We hope your readers will like it."

Ezekiel Bread

yield: 4 Loaves (See Note).

5 Cups Warm Water (110 To 115 Degrees), Divided

1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup honey, divided

3 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast

2/3 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon salt

5 to 6 cups whole-grain flour (one or any combination; see note)

6 to 8 cups bread flour

Stir together 1/2 cup warm water with 1 tablespoon honey. Stir in yeast until dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix remaining 4 1/2 cups warm water with remaining 2/3 cup honey, oil, sugar and salt. Mix well; add to yeast mixture. Stir in whole-grain flour.

Beat in 2 cups bread flour, then add more, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition until the dough pulls together. Turn it out into a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until it doubles in size. Punch dough down; let it rise until again doubled in size.

Punch dough down; form into 4 loaves. Place each loaf in a greased loaf pan. Let rise a third time. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the loaves until the bottom of a loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 1 hour or less.

PER SERVING: 163 calories; 4g fat (22 percent of calories from fat); 0.5g saturated fat; no cholesterol; 4.5g protein; 29g carbohydrate; 7g sugar; 2.5g fiber; 100mg sodium; 9mg calcium; 101mg potassium.

Tester's note: Using 4 cups whole-wheat flour and 1 cup wheat germ resulted in a nut-brown color and fairly smooth texture. Using equal parts of rye flour, whole-wheat flour, quinoa flour, rolled oats and cooked barley made for a moist and flavorful bread.
 Â  Â
(FACTIVA)
And on the Eighth Day, Adam Created a Stew in the Microwave
By Alix M. Freedman
Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal
432 words
The Wall Street Journal Â
(...)
Ezekiel bread poses another challenge. The prophet Ezekiel foretold that because the Jews had disobeyed God's laws, they would have to cook this "defiled" bread over a fire fueled by human dung. (On appeal by Ezekiel, God authorized the substitution of camel dung.) But in the "Good Book" recipe, cooks are told simply to place their bread on a baking sheet and to cook it at low heat in the oven.

The authors say they dismissed the dung idea as "metaphorical." Moreover, they say eating their bread, which tastes like lentil beans, is punishment enough.
(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Frederick Post - Â 5/30/1980
...ICE CREAM CONES GARDEN OF EATEN BIBLE BREAD.. -ff? 75 Sparkling Cider.....OftC 23 SI 44 ACC 43 SEVEN GRAIN BREAD 7 ORAIN HONEY Engllah OC OO Apple..
Frederick,  Maryland     Friday, May 30, 1980   568 k Â
Gettysburg Times - Â 12/16/1987
...authors. For example, the recipe for EZEKIEL BREAD was tested 18 times and.....Thus the recipe has this explanation: "EZEKIEL BREAD is one of the most..
Gettysburg,  Pennsylvania     Wednesday, December 16, 1987   640 k Â

Advocate - Â 7/11/1973
...to see how people like our EZEKIEL BREAD. Ingredients for this BREAD, found.....she said. are references to loaves of BREAD which indicate a BREAD with yeast..
Newark,  Ohio     Wednesday, July 11, 1973   852 k Â
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Â
AAC (ASPARAGUS, AVOCADO, CUCUMBER)
AAC + ASPARAGUS + CUCUMBER--81 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits
 Â  "AAC" (listed under "vegetarian roll" and containing "Asparagus, Avocado, Cucumber" for $3.25) Â is on the menu at Spring Sushi, 308 Third Avenue. Â I thought there would be more hits for this, but I guess it's not in the "BLT" class.
AGNOLOTTI
 Â  Â  Â
AGNOLOTTI--58,700 Google hits, 1,250 Google Groups hits
 Â  Â
 Â  A restaurant review I was reading of Osteria Stella (135 West 50th Street) mentions: Â "A sweeping aggregation of pasta soars to great heights with a special of delicate, creamy agnolotti--a deluxe dumpling richly filled with savory ricotta and mozzarella,"
 Â  OED has 1953. Â I have only one 1957 "agnolotti" hit in the ADS-L archives.
 Â  Â
(GOOGLE)
extra-torino :: The guide of Torino
... Agnolotti. The premier dish of Piedmont period. Agnolotti are a sort of rectangular
“tortello” or ravioli usually filled with meat, vegetables, and cheese. ...
www.extratorino.it/ ENG/scheda.php?ID=658&categoriaID=40 - 46k - May 7, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages
 Â  Â
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
City Eats 800 Tons a Day; Kuchen? Soupe a l'oignon? Lachamishwa? Capeletti? -- The A Cosmopolitan Appetite Has Made Gastronomy a Fine Art Here, and Diners Are All Linguists.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Oct 28, 1934. p. F6 (1 page) :
 Â  What is macaroni in one place, may be spaghetti, trinetti (illegible--ed.), cappeletti and agnoletti in other palces.
(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Ironwood Daily Globe - Â 10/3/1930
...SELLAR ST., BESSEMER ITALIAN AGNOLOTTI served every Saturday evening..
Ironwood,  Michigan     Friday, October 03, 1930   590 k Â
Traverse City Record Eagle - Â 12/23/1954
...broth with noodles (stracciatelle or AGNOLOTTI) fettuccine all'uovo, another..
Traverse City,  Michigan     Thursday, December 23, 1954   569 k Â
FAR OUT, BRUSSEL SPROUT
FAR OUT BRUSSEL SPROUT--147 Google hits, 49 Google Groups hits
 Â  Not a good hit for this yet. Â I expect to see it in the full-text LOS ANGELES TIMES soon.