Panna Cotta (1984)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 10 21:35:49 UTC 2004

   Another from the OED appeals list.  I have to beat 1987.  They owe me dessert.  Maybe a crumb of a hot dog bun or something.

GIULIANO BUGIALLI'S FOODS OF ITALY
New York: Stewart, Tabori, & Chang
1984

Pg. 281:
PHOTO CAPTION:  Luscious _Panna cotta_ is richer than custard and elegantly creamy.

MOLDED DESSERTS
Italians like the aesthetic shapes of molded desserts, even serving their souffles out of the mold, neatly sliced.  Molded custard and cream desserts are popular in restaurants as well as at home.
   The molded cream dessert _Panna cotta_ is a favorite in the Piedmont area.  Half of the heavy cream is heated with the gelatin and, when cool, the other half in the form of whipped cream is folded in.  In Italy, whipped cream is always sweetened with both granulated and confectioners' sugar, providing a more interesting taste.

_Panna cotta_
"COOKED CREAM" MOLDS
(Recipe too long to type here at NYU Special Collections--ed.)