OT: "Shyster" in today's NY SUN

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue May 11 18:57:09 UTC 2004

        Since you ask:  The majority of paralegals, including those with fifteen years' experience, do make below $35 an hour.  It may be different in New York City.

        I do know experienced lawyers who make below $35 an hour, but that is uncommon.

        According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t16.htm, the average earnings of production or nonsupervisory workers on private nonfarm payrolls is $15.27 per hour.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 12:40 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: OT: "Shyster" in today's NY SUN

BACK TO WORK:
   I was chatting with an NYU Bobst librarian last night about George Thompson, the Bobst and other matters.  She had also spotted the Saturday article about my job.  Yes, the salary figure per hour was not a misprint.  We earn less per hour than the lowest-priced parking ticket ($35, although many tickets are $165 a pop), with no benefits and no employee protections and miserable working conditions.
   First-day paralegals make more.  And this is not some place in the boonies--this is NYC.  And that's after a recent salary increase, too.
   Does John Baker know of any lawyer with fifteen years' experience who makes below $35 an hour?  Any paralegal?
   Back to work because my plane didn't crash...