Blondies (1952); Reverse Drinks; Joke of the Day

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue May 18 16:57:17 UTC 2004

BLONDIES

   A little earlier than what I'd posted before (from 1954).

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Reno Evening Gazette - 12/4/1952
...You'll use i It often. Recipe for BLONDIES or 1'i cups prepared biscuit.....FOR DROP 1X8 A brand-new recipe for BROWNIES makes them the perfect "spur..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, December 04, 1952  566 k

REVERSE DRINKS

   From my e-mail today:

  Date:    5/18/2004 10:46:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time
  From:    Ardent Spirits <gary at ardentspirits.com>
  To:    List Member <bapopik at aol.com>
  Sent from the Internet (Details)

Ardent Spirits e-letter

Volume 6 Issue 5, May, 2004
by Gary Regan and Mardee Haidin Regan
© 2004 Reganomics, Inc.

Ardent Spirits is a free e-mail newsletter for anyone and everyone with an interest in cocktails, bars, bartenders, distilled spirits, and beverage-related topics.

Pretty Pictures

If you would prefer to read this issue in living color, complete with pretty pictures and dynamite graphics, please click here:  http://www.ardentspirits.com/Newsletter/vol6Issue05.html

Editorial

Here we go again--so much to accomplish and Gary's just about to leave for Scotland to visit distilleries with the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (DISCUS).  He'll be gone for the rest of the month.  Rather than not send you anything at all during the month of May, though, we thought you'd enjoy trying a new drink that Mardee created recently for the Fine Spirits and Cocktails forum over at www.eGullet.com   We promised them a drink of their very own months ago, and only just got around to creating it.

Here then, is the first one-article Ardent Spirits since the first issue in February 1999 when we featured the Valentino as a Valentine's drink.

In this issue:

Mischief

Mischief
Mardee has this "thing" for reverse drinks.  Julia Child, for instance, enjoys Reverse Martinis--mostly dry vermouth with a floater of gin, and if Mardee is planning on having more than one Manhattan, she uses around three parts sweet vermouth to one part bourbon, and copious quantities of bitters.   It's a Reverse Manhattan.

Earlier this year Mardee made it her mission to come up with a Reverse Margarita.  Not an easy task when you consider that, using our proportions (3 parts tequila, 2 parts Cointreau, 1 part fresh lime juice), only 1/6 of the drink--the lime juice--has no alcohol, and both other ingredients are 40% abv.

She put on her thinking cap months ago, and has been working on this drink in her head for many weeks.  Yesterday she put it together.  No second attempts, nothing was thrown away--she nailed it on her first try.  It was heaven.  Mischief is not like a Margarita at all--it's a fragrant drink that's very gulpable, and it isn't too high in alcohol.   The flavors marry in complete harmony.  This drink is perfect for summertime quaffing.  Mardee also came up with the name, but that should be obvious.

Here, then, created specially for e-gullet, is Mardee's new drink:

Mischief
1 ounce Herradura Silver tequila
1 ounce Charbay Key Lime vodka
3 ounces fresh orange juice
1 orange wheel, for garnish
Fill a cocktail shaker two-thirds full of ice and add the tequila. Lime vodka, and orange juice.  Shake for approximately 15 seconds.  Strain into a chilled cocktail glass or an ice-filled old-fashioned glass.  Add the garnish.