"You're not out of it until you're out of it" (Yogi, 1974)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed May 19 01:13:25 UTC 2004

   Too many parking tickets--I'm out of it.
   I was looking into "deja vu" in the LOS ANGELES TIMES and thought I'd take another look at Yogi Berra's "it's not over 'til it's over."
   The phrase is here in different dress.

(ADS-L, 24 December 2003)
If you subscribe to the theory(as I do)  that the phrase is a play on "It
ain't over 'til the [fat][church]lady sings," then Berra probably didn't say
it in 1973, or even before 1976 or so.

If you think Berra used it in 1973, then one could assume that the
'fat/church lady' was a play on Berra.  But I doubt it.

Sam Clements

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Shapiro" <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 5:31 PM
Subject: "It Ain't Over 'Til It's Over"

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Gerald Cohen wrote:
>
> > P.S. His most famous saying is "It ain't over 'til it's over." Is
> > that one of his genuine contributions?
>
> Yes, as far as I know.  But I have had trouble pinning down an early
> source for this; the earliest I have is 1980.  Can anyone provide
> pre-1980 evidence (I know it's supposed to have been said in connection
> with the Mets' great pennant drive of 1973, but contemporaneous citations
> appear to be difficult to come by).
>
> Fred Shapiro

(ADS-L, 24 December 2003)
Since my previous e-mail, I have found a 1977 usage of "ain't over..." on
Nexis.

Fred Shapiro

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
A 'Character' Named Berra; The Mother Tongue McNulty to Garagiola Red Smith
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 30, 1974. p. 191 (1 page):
   He is not yet ready to admit that this year's Mets can't repeat.  "You're not out of it," he insisted recently, "until you're out of it."

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Newport Daily News - 7/16/1974
...BERRA, who should know, "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....OUT. Quarterback Greg Cook also worked OUT but on Monday he walked OUT, not..
Newport, Rhode Island   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  607 k

Lima News - 7/16/1974
...BERRA. who should know, You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....finshed, they had knocked Gar-i AND OUT OF the game AND shelled two more..
Lima, Ohio   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  1041 k

Great Bend Tribune - 7/16/1974
...BERRA, who should know. "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....OF the tournament, AND Wilson shut OUT LITtle River in the evening TEE OFF..
Great Bend, Kansas   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  1164 k

Post Crescent - 7/16/1974
...BERRA, who should know, "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....by Taveras, a sacrifice, an infield OUT AND an error by second baseman Tommy..
Appleton, Wisconsin   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  464 k

Tri City Herald - 7/16/1974
...BERRA, who should know, "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....finished, they had knocked GarlAND OUT OF the game AND shelled two more..
Pasco, Washington   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  1151 k

Lancaster Eagle Gazette - 7/16/1974
...OF Yogi BERRA, who should know, not OUT cf IT until you're. OUT OF IT. In.....finished, they had knocked GarlAND OUT OF the game AND shelled two more..
Lancaster, Ohio   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  616 k

Portsmouth Herald - 7/16/1974
...got Yastrzemski to fly to 'You're not OUT OF IT you're OUT OF IT." In the.....words Cubs scored four times in Yogi BERRA, who should know, the ninth inning..
Portsmouth, New Hampshire   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  668 k

Progress - 7/16/1974
...BERRA, who should know, "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." In.....OUT. Quarterback Greg Cook also worked OUT but on Monday he walked OUT, not..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania   Tuesday, July 16, 1974  744 k

Tri City Herald - 7/23/1974
...RE SAYING Yogi BERRA: "You're never OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT.....average, is second. AND Houston, shut OUT in ITs first game before shutting..
Pasco, Washington   Tuesday, July 23, 1974  1021 k

News Journal - 7/30/1974
...BERRA has taken the stAND that aren't OUT OF IT until we're OUT OF IT. Yogi's.....singed OFf Kline AND 'was wiped OUT on a force OUT by i que z. But then..
Mansfield, Ohio   Tuesday, July 30, 1974  932 k

Chronicle Telegram - 8/7/1975
...You're never OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." AND on Wednesday. Yogi BERRA.....to ward OFf his team's crITics, was OUT OF IT: fired as manager OF the New..
Elyria, Ohio   Thursday, August 07, 1975  507 k

Coshocton Tribune - 8/7/1976
...YORK (UPD neyer OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF ii. AND on Wednesday. Yogi BERRA.....to ward OFf his team's crITics, was OUT OF IT; fired as manager OF the New..
Coshocton, Ohio   Saturday, August 07, 1976  780 k

Evening Capital - 1/28/1977
...As Yogi BERRA once said, "You're never OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." Yogi.....the tie AND kept the from being shut OUT twice in i row at home Black Hawks 1..
Annapolis, Maryland   Friday, January 28, 1977  404 k

Walla Walla Union Bulletin - 1/28/1977
...As Yogi BERRA once said, "You're never OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." Yogi.....a lot OF good picks AND he hITs nine OUT OF 10 OF those James said. "AND he..
Walla Walla, Washington   Friday, January 28, 1977  478 k

Gettysburg Times - 8/23/1978
...pennaui race by saying. "You're never OUT OF IT yoa're OUT OF IT." Arxi thanks.....Now By The Associated Press Yogi BERRA once surnir.fc up a..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania   Wednesday, August 23, 1978  978 k

Gettysburg Times - 9/16/1980
...abOUT a pennant race. "You're not OUT OF IT until you're OUT OF IT." Or.....honored words OF Yankee coach Yogi BERRA. who once observed..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania   Tuesday, September 16, 1980  690 k