Virgin Sauce (sauce vierge); Thai Mee Up; S&M (spaghetti & meatballs)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu May 20 00:46:18 UTC 2004

VIRGIN SAUCE (SAUCE VIERGE)

VIRGIN SAUCE + VIERGE--6 Google hits, 0 Google Groups hits
SAUCE VIERGE--3,350 Google hits, 25 Google Groups hits (mostly French)

The fish is dressed in one of four sauce choices (sauce _vierge_, chili-garlic, crushed chickpea, or pineapple-tamarind).  From among the three fish choices available one night (all $29) I tried the clean, crisp, flaky red snapper--and was happy I did.  It was topped with the sauce _vierge_, French for "virgin sauce," which alludes to the fact that none of the ingredients are cooked.  Here, Mr. Koketsu combined tomatoes, capers, black olives, lemon segments, and basil in extra virgin olive oil to form an earthy, rich, perfect sauce.
---NEW YORK SUN, 19 May 2004, Pg. 18, col. 4, restaurant review of Manhattan Ocean Club, 57 W. 58th Street.

   You can buy your "virgin sauce" at a Virgin megastore.  It's flown directly from England on Virgin Airlines.  England, of course, is the virgin land of Virgin and Madonna ("like a virgin").
   Nah, just kidding.  "Virgin sauce" is from Virginia.
   Neither "virgin sauce" nor "sauce vierge" is in OED ("miserable on virgins")...If you ask me, it's the non-virgins who are saucy.

(GOOGLE)
Grilled Fish With Sauce Vierge
... The sauce takes its name (literally, "virgin sauce"), it is said, from the fact
that none of its ingredients are cooked-which is about the closest the French ...
www.dvo.com/ recipe_pages/grilln/Grilled_Fish_With_Sauce_Vierge.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

We've Archived...!... serve with "sauce vierge" (virgin sauce) in a blender,combine olive oil-parsley-salt lemon juice,process until smooth. Bon appetit! Pierre. ...
www.bajanet.com/kitchen_archive5/_food1/00000001.htm - 4k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

(FACTIVA) (217 hits for "vierge" and "sauce")
FEATURES TRAVEL
Dining out in Ireland - in Kinsale of all places
J.Herbert Silverman
996 words
The Globe and Mail
P45; (ILLUST)
(...)
On a vantage point overlooking the harbor is the Spinnaker Restaurant, now in its 17th year. The owner, Hedli MacNeice, widow of the late American poet, Louis MacNeice, was once a star of the London stage. An ebullient hostess, she welcomes all guests to the seaside dining room brightened by blue checkered tablecloths and overhead wrought iron chandeliers lit with red candles. The pride of the establishment is the pot au feu of fresh oysters, salmon, scallops and mussels served with a choice of sauce vierge, tomas, or a hot sauce mohlo.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
   1. Papaya Pulp and Juice Put New Zest In Hot and Lazy Summer Afternoons
By JANE HOLT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Jun 7, 1941. p. 9 (1 page):
   Next on the menu came "truite de lac au courtbouillon," two splendid trouts boiled in a fish broth and sumptuously seasoned with thyme and bay and served with a "sauce vierge"--which seemed to be a hollandaise blended with a suspicion of mustard and heavy, fresh cream.

   2. Recipes of a Master Chef For New Cuisine and Old
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 29, 1975. p. 66 (1 page):
   Sauce Vierge
1 cup peeled, seeded, red ripe tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 crushed, unpeeled garlic clove
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chevril or one teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon each chopped fresh parsley and tarragon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
   Salt to taste
   Freshly ground pepper to taste.
   1. Crush the tomatoes to a pulp or blend in a food processor or electric blender.  Pour and scrape the mixture into a mixing bowl.
   2. Beat in the oil and add the remaining ingredients.  Let sit in a warm but not hot place until lukewarm.  Serve with the fish.
   Yield: About one and one-fourth cups.

THAI MEE UP

   In a prior post about "Thai S & M (shimp & mussels)," I made a comment that another dish was surprisingly not on the menu.
   It's on the menu at Angelica Kitchen (Organic Vegetarian Cooking), 300 East 12th Street, (212) 228-2909:

   SOUPS, STARTERS AND SIDES
_Thai Mee Up_--All Raw--delicate strands of daikon radish, butternut squash, & carrot dressed with Thai tahini sauce, garnished with marinated kale.  $4.00
   ENTREES
_Thai Mee Up_--An All Raw Entree--delicate strands of daikon radish, butternut squah & carrot, on a bed of zippy marinated kale, dressed with Thai tahini sauce.  $7.75

S & M (SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS)

   Someone also told me that his usual "S & M" dish was "spaghetti and meatballs."  This is a standard children's dish not normally called "S & M" (at least not in my household).

(GOOGLE)
Happy New Year - Out of Dodge - BootsnAll Travelogues
... Dan. (who should be making dinner and not thinking about S&M). Posted by:
Dan on January 5, 2004 11:10 AM. S & M...Spaghetti and Meatballs? Yum. ...
blogs.bootsnall.com/delara/dodgefiles/001217.shtml - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
S & M
Superb recipe for S & M (spaghetti & meatballs)...I make this at
least once every week... SAUCE 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter 2 Tbsp. ...
rec.food.cooking - Jan 22, 1999 by FINOCCHIO at webtv.net - View Thread (4 articles)

Re: Italian Cooking
... my nonna saying "macaroni & gravy" and as a kid I used to tease her - calling the
dish "nonna's s & m" which of course stands for "spaghetti and meatballs". ...
rec.food.cooking - Oct 31, 1998 by FINOCCHIO at webtv.net - View Thread (75 articles)

Re: STEPHEN DEMARDES EXPOSED
... and other men. He is also heavily into s and m..... spaghetti
and meatballs that is.....he weighs about 300 lbs.
nashville.general - Dec 7, 1997 by Gene Scott - View Thread (6 articles)

Re: **M ISO **F for S&M
Who is interested in meeting women who share an interest in S & M. Strawberries and
Milk? Spaghetti and Meatballs? Soliloquies and Monologues? Songs and Music? ...
alt.romance.chat - Nov 23, 1993 by David DeLaney - View Thread (9 articles)