Uses of DARE in teaching and research

Judi Sanders jasanders at CSUPOMONA.EDU
Thu May 20 18:39:05 UTC 2004

>===== Original Message From American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
=====
>It's time for us at DARE to submit grant proposals to NEH and NSF, and one
>of the things we always like to include in the narrative is a thumbnail
>sketch of how other people use or have used the Dictionary and/or our tapes
>and other materials.  If you've found DARE materials useful in either your
>teaching or your research, would you please drop me a line explaining how
>you use them?  Many thanks.
>
>Joan Hall
>jdhall at wisc.edu

Joan,

I always use "American Tongues" in my Intercultural Communication class to
illustrate a variety of things about language and communication.  I also refer
students to the DARE site for more on language in the US.

My husband, Richard Wiseman, teaches at Cal State Fullerton
(rwiseman at fullerton.edu).  He also uses the film in his intercultural
communication class.  He wrote the instructor's manual for a widely used text
for this course (Gudykunst & Kim, Communicating with Strangers) and in the
manual recommends use of the film.

Hope this helps!

Judi

Dr. Judi Sanders
Professor, Communication
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
On the web:  http://www.csupomona.edu/~jasanders
The College Slang Page:  http://www.csupomona.edu/~jasanders/slang/