Uses of DARE in teaching and research

J. Eulenberg eulenbrg at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri May 21 18:33:55 UTC 2004

Are the DARE tapes for Kentucky generally available?  I'm interested
particularly in dialects for the region around Maysville, which I
understand is unique unto itself.  "About a 20-mile circle around this
town," according to one of my informants.  "Outside of that circle, they
speak very differently.  Do no confuse us with them."

Now I KNOW that this is going to set some of you off, but this was a
Kentucky informant, not my fifth-grade teacher.  I am still trying to
imagine that there could be that great a difference for everyone in the
town, particularly since I have spoken to several of them by phone.  A
tape would be a godsend at this point.  Thanks,

Julia Niebuhr Eulenberg <eulenbrg at u.washington.edu>