Waiting for shoes to drop

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Sat May 22 17:24:46 UTC 2004

A couple of weeks or so ago there was an exchange on this list about recent
variants of the phrase 'Waiting for the other shoe to drop'.  I seem to
remember that it was triggered by a non-standard use on NPR.

If anyone's interested, there was another non-standard use of the phrase on the
same radio-station this morning, though I don't know whether it was the same
presenter or not.  The exchange was about the recent string of revelations
regarding abuse of prisoners in Iraq.

Presenter:  "How many more shoes can we expect to drop?"
NPR chief foreign-affairs analyst:  "It's not how many have to drop ..."

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania