No Blood, No Foul (1975); Pinch Me, I'm Dreaming (1845)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 23 02:07:37 UTC 2004

   Two physical phrases.

NO BLOOD, NO FOUL

NO BLOOD + NO FOUL--2,160 Google hits, 1,660 Google Groups hits

We would say something here like "no blood, no foul" but we don't want to start any type of gang warfare in this space.
---NEW YORK SPORTS EXPRESS (www.nysportsexpress.com), May 20-26, 2004, pg. 18, col. 3.

   I remember it from the 1970s and playground basketball.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
A Grass-Roots Hockey League Groves in Brooklyn Who Needs the Ice?
By JOHN S. RADOSTA. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 7, 1976. p. 86 (1 page):
   And then there are the local rules, similar to the "no blood, no foul" rules of playground basketball.

Final Four Officials Have Survived a Playoff of Their Ownn
By Mark AsherWashington Post Staff Writer. The Washington Post (1974-Current file). Washington, D.C.: Mar 26, 1977. p. C4 (1 page):
   Added Steitz:  "We want the game officiated in the spirit and intent of the rules, not the ultra-liberal interpretation of 'No blood, no foul.'"

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Nevada State Journal - 2/28/1975
...sometimes it seerns as if there's NO BLOOD, there's NO FOUL Pro basketball.....the element of the unkNOwn, there was NO finer example than the apppearance of..
Reno, Nevada   Friday, February 28, 1975  678 k

Chronicle Telegram - 11/2/1998
...the Niners 3622. AP UNDA CHRONICLE NO BLOOD, NO FOUL: Cleveland's Shawn Boney.....Sunday during the Crunch's win. NO FOUL was called. New-look Crunch gets..
Elyria, Ohio   Monday, November 02, 1998  523 k

Chronicle Telegram - 10/15/2000
...Browns into the Ravens in 1996. "NO BLOOD drawn. NO harm, NO FOUL. This is a.....Jan. 14, 1990 Denver 37, Browns 21. NO drive, NO fumble, just a blowout as..
Elyria, Ohio   Sunday, October 15, 2000  556 k

PINCH ME, I'M DREAMING

PINCH ME + DREAMING--6,440 Google hits, 2,410 Google Groups hits

And the dream lives on for (NBA player Rafer--ed.) Alston.  He can now stop pinching himself.
--NEW YORK SPORTS EXPRESS, May 20-26, 2004., pg. 15, col. 3.

   This popular cliche is used in the sports and entertainment worlds; it's so old that "pinch" must be used ironically.  It's not in OED under "pinch," but OED is revising "P" soon.
   I always say this to my wife Jen--just a minute, a phone call.
   "Hello?...Yes, I meant it.  'Apple' is a stupid name!...Of course the press will find out!  They're not idiots!...This will ruin everything that I have with my wife Jennifer Lopez...Look, I have an ADS-L post.  I gotta go."
   Where was I?

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Times Democrat - 2/5/1897
...a little PINCH to see if die could be DREAMING. No, she was wide awake, ami in.....was saying, "What in tho world arc you DREAMING about, you poor Ncv, Miss..
Lima, Ohio   Friday, February 05, 1897  689 k

clearfield_progress_ - 8/18/1914
...PINCH. Convinced that he wasn't DREAMING, j Alan transferred the rose to..
Clearfield, Pennsylvania   Tuesday, August 18, 1914  424 k

Fort Wayne News - 3/9/1917
...to PINCH himself to see if he were DREAMING. He hod pursued a fruitless..
Fort Wayne, Indiana   Friday, March 09, 1917  812 k

Coshocton Tribune - 4/25/1930
...SOMEBODY PINCH ME TO KNOW IF I'M DREAMING I WANT -Daily Health .the..
Coshocton, Ohio   Friday, April 25, 1930  770 k

Mansfield News - 5/3/1933
...PINCH me, she exclaimed. I asleep and DREAMING? Oh, please, Noel, tell roe it..
Mansfield, Ohio   Wednesday, May 03, 1933  597 k

Mansfield News Journal - 9/26/1935
...GAME WITH BEAUTIFUL PUNT PINCH rt, AAM DREAMING Oft IS THAT KID REAL? AS REAL..
Mansfield, Ohio   Thursday, September 26, 1935  803 k

Lima News - 5/1/1937
...PINCHed himself to make sure he wasn't DREAMING. Kven after sleeping on it.....12 Columbus hits before retiring for a PINCH hitter in the seventh. Johnny..
Lima, Ohio   Saturday, May 01, 1937  748 k

Mansfield News Journal - 9/23/1939
...By Welt Disney Of COURSE -UNLESS I'M DREAMING 6O AHEAD PINCH ME AND SEE OUCH..
Mansfield, Ohio   Saturday, September 23, 1939  821 k

Mansfield News Journal - 3/12/1942
...and begged, "PINCH me to see if I'm DREAMING." She PINCHed him so hard it..
Mansfield, Ohio   Thursday, March 12, 1942  841 k

Nebraska State Journal - 7/24/1949
...PINCH yourself lo make sure you're not DREAMING You will see bargain after..
Lincoln, Nebraska   Sunday, July 24, 1949  710 k

Sheboygan Press - 8/11/1949
...For Fall These are "PINCH me I'm DREAMING" creations, for each is..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Thursday, August 11, 1949  384 k

Sheboygan Press - 2/14/1950
...15 PINCH yourself to prove you're not DREAMING for values like these are..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin   Tuesday, February 14, 1950  430 k

Herald Press - 4/13/1950
...some one to PINCH YOU you're riot. DREAMING. 6 Only AH Wool Single And DB..
Saint Joseph, Michigan   Thursday, April 13, 1950  693 k

Statesville Daily Record - 5/19/1950
...have, I Hey Somebody PINCH me, I'm j DREAMING. But you know each sweet has..
Statesville, North Carolina   Friday, May 19, 1950  675 k

Mansfield News Journal - 6/11/1952
...ROACH-PRUFE PINCH YOURSELF you're not DREAMING TRUE LOOK BLISSFUL? IT All..
Mansfield, Ohio   Wednesday, June 11, 1952  499 k

Newport Daily News - 8/20/1953
...and PINCH myself to see if I'm still DREAMING. Think of a week I never knew..
Newport, Rhode Island   Thursday, August 20, 1953  683 k

Marion Star - 10/28/1953
...for the first time, at "PINCH me, I'm DREAMING" prices Tables so graceful and..
Marion, Ohio   Wednesday, October 28, 1953  507 k

(OCLC)
Title: In a little German garden :
underneath the pretzel vine /
Author(s): Coots, J. Fred, 1897- ; Kahn, Gus,; 1886-1941. ; (Lyricist - lyr)
Publication: New York :; Leo. Feist,
Year: 1932
Language: English
Series: Francis G. Spencer Collection of American Sheet Music :; American Melting Pot Collection; Variation: American Melting Pot Collection.
Music Type: Songs
Standard No: Publisher: 6651-3; Leo. Feist
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Popular music -- United States -- 1931--1940 -- Scores.
Note(s): For voice and piano with ukulele arr./ Title from cover.
Other Titles: First line of chorus:; In a little German garden, underneath the pretzel vine.; First line of verse:; Am I awake or dreaming? I ought to pinch myself.
Responsibility: lyrics by Gus Kahn.
Document Type: Score
Entry: 20000729
Update: 20040428
Accession No: OCLC: 44682910
Database: WorldCat

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES)
The Quest Of A Nile-Green Collar.
Carroll Watson Rankin. an Illustrated Magazine for Young Folks (1873-1907). Aug 1905. Vol. 32, Iss. 10; p. 889 (3 pages)
Second page:  "I wish," said Katherine, some days later, "that somebody would pinch me.  I believe I'm asleep and dreaming green collars!"

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
SPARRED 36 ROUNDS; The Referee Then Declared the battle No Contest.n ABBOTT AND DALY WELL MATCHED. The Contestants Got Very Tired, and as the Gate Receipts Were Rather Slim the Englishman Begged to Be Excused from Fighting All Night--After Three More Rounds Mr. Koenig Got Tired Refereeing and Called a Hait to the Contest.
The Washington Post. Dec 31, 1895. p. 8 (1 page):
   "Can it be that I am dreaming?  Pinch me and see if I am awake," said Jake Kilrain, as he erased the perspiration from Stanton Abbott with a towel.

AMELIE RIVES'S PLAY.; ATHELWOLD. By Amelie Rives. New-York: Harper & Brothers.
New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 26, 1893. p. 19 (1 page):
   "ATH. ...--I have been dreaming.  (Sees Elfreda)  Soft, though still I dream.  What art thou?
   ELF.--Thy imagination.
   ATH.---Then thou hast usurped my reason's office.  COme.
   ELF.--What wouldst thou!
   ATH.--I would pinch thee.
   ELF.--Pinch me!"

A Trip to Boston; First Prize, $3.
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Nov 4, 1917. p. SM9 (1 page):
   I was tempted to ask mother to pinch me, for I was not quite sure whether I was just dreaming or really skimming through greenish-golden haze.

This SPORTING LIFE
William O McGeehan. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Apr 26, 1925. p. K9 (2 pages)
First page:  "We win six hundred apiece," exulted the Senator.  "Or am I dreaming?  Pinch me, Kidney."

The Wonderful Stories of "OZ"; The Trick River
L Frank Baum. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Sep 13, 1925. p. M2 (1 page):
   "Do you live here, my good man?" asked the Scarecrow.
   "I think I do, Most mighty Magician," replied the Quadling, bowing low; "but whether I'm awake or dreaming I can't be positive, so I'm not sure where I live.  If you'll kindly pinch me I'll find out all about it."
   "You're awake," said Dorothy, "and this is no magician, but just the Scarecrow."

(MAKING OF AMERICA--MICHIGAN)