Hypercorrection of /w/-/hw/

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue May 25 18:18:37 UTC 2004

I always wondered why my horse stopped purty as you please when I hollered
"Ho!" whereas that dang mule just kep' a-goin'.  Now I know! :)

So anyway, it looks as if there was probably a [hwo] employed at one time,
at least, to halt beasts of burden.  Now I only wonder if it still exists.

Peter Mc.

--On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 2:01 PM -0400 "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>