origin of "wuss" or "wussie" ??

Wed May 26 14:25:38 UTC 2004

My friend named his german shepard Woose - his
baby-word for Wolf - which both I and his sister
thought was funny because he was in effect calling his
dog a "wus".  This was sometime between 1954 and 1960
(I'll look at old photos to see if I can narrow that
down), but I think that "wus" and variants were pretty
well known before the late 60's

=====