Disco Fries (more, more, more); Duck Lady & Smiling Duck Salads

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat May 29 22:20:09 UTC 2004

DISCO FRIES (MORE, MORE, MORE)

   FACTIVA has only 13 "disco fries" hits.  Most are from New Jersey.  Again, the earliest hit is only 1996 (Bergen County's THE RECORD, as expected).

(FACTIVA)
1.  THAI TO FRIES, SCENE GROWS IN W'MSBURG
New York Daily News, 23 January 2004, 371 words, LAN N. NGUYEN, (English)

2.  Sports hangout keeps things casual in Union
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 28 September 2001, 883 words, LISA ROSE, (English)

3.  THE LAST WORD - The Munchers are outta here, but not before visiting some reader favorites
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 7 September 2001, 2584 words, PETER GENOVESE, (English)

4.  The last days of disco fries
Weekly Standard , 20 August 2001, 50 words, Victorino Matus, (English)

5.  Real Jersey
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 22 April 2001, 2024 words, PETER GENOVESE, (English)

6.  One-stop bar-hopping - Pub, club and diner on Route 46 cover all your night-life needs
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 17 November 2000, 835 words, LISA ROSE, (English)

7.  Nothing could be finer than another Jersey diner
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 17 November 2000, 641 words, PETER GENOVESE, (English)

8.  Wayne tavern gives old name a fresh new twist - Dining
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 8 October 2000, 753 words, CODY KENDALL, (English)

9.  AT FORMERLY THE FRENCH HILL INN IN WAYNE
The Record, Northern New Jersey , 11 August 2000, 1026 words, LINDY WASHBURN, Restauran..., (English)

10.  A bunch of munch
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 3 September 1999, 3115 words, (English)

11.  The All-nighter - The Munchmobile visits diners that are open late and early
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 6 August 1999, 2246 words, Peter Genovese, (English)

12.  Menlo Park Diner fare matches enticing appearance
The Star-Ledger Newark, NJ , 26 March 1999, 648 words, Peter Genovese, (English)

13.  BIKING WITH MARLBORO MAN: SPOKES VS. SMOKES
The Record, Northern New Jersey , 22 March 1996, 661 words, By BRUNO TEDESCHI, (English)
(...)
As a biker who rides about 150 miles a week from April to October, I worry about what I put in my body. I fret about fat content of food. I avoid alcohol. I hold my breath when I'm behind a soot-producing diesel truck. If I break down and have a plate of disco fries, I can feel it the next morning. My average time slips. My legs cramp. My head hurts.

DUCK LADY & SMILING DUCK SALADS

   I was walking by The Delta Grill on Ninth Avenue and spotted its "Duck Lady Salad."  Unfortunately, there are no other hits for it on Google.  See the article on the New Orleans "Duck Lady" in GAMBIT (the same publication that recently published a letter of mine):

(GOOGLE)
The Delta Grill's Menu at Foodservice.com - A Business to Business ...
... Salads. Duck Lady Salad, 9, Blackened Chicken Salad, 8. Pepper-crusted duck breast
served on fresh greens with a raspberry sauce. With a cucumber dressing. ...
www.foodservice.com/industry_resources/ menu_recipe/menu/thedeltagrill.cfm - 31k - Cached - Similar pages

Welcome to the Best of New Orleans! Cover Story 03 05 02
Who Speaks for the Duck Lady? ... The ducks waddling behind her have given way to stuffed
versions that Ruthie "the Duck Lady" Moulon clutches wherever she goes. ...
www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/ 2002-03-05/cover_story.html - 42k - Cached - Similar pages

   The Green Papaya 2004 Thai Kitchen, 185 Sullivan Street (between Bleecker & Hudson), has:

   Smiling Duck Salad  14.50
Double crisped five-spice duckling, pineapple, macintosh tossed with a spicy tamarind dressing on a bed of green.

   There were no hits for "Smiling Duck Salad" on Google, and not even "Smiling Duck" + "Thai" turned up anything.
   The Disco (Duck) Fries worked out, but the Duck Salads are quackers.  If they catch on, though, you heard them here first.

OT:  DAVID SHULMAN (OR, FREE T-SHIRTS ARE SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH)

   Two weeks ago, (longtime ADS-member) David Shulman heard a new food term and he wanted to know if I'd heard of it.  It was in a crossword puzzle.  "SMORES."  Had I heard of it?
   Today, the NYPL is closed, but he said he wanted to meet me at NYU.  I had to be there sharp.  There was important business to discuss.  No, uh, sleeping for me after a hard work week.
   What was there to discuss?  For starters, did I have a check for the typist of his poems?  OK, I'd give him that.
   Then, I had to sign something so he could remain in a single room at his senior center.  What am I signing, Dave?  (He can't get along with the roommates they give him.  He needs space for his books.)  What am I signing?  (He needs me to pay for the his extra space.)  How much is it?  (850.)  850?  850 dollars?  850 dollars a month?  Ten thousands dollars a year??  (Yes.)  Good lord!  I make $33 an hour, with no benefits at all, before taxes.  You know how many hours of work that is?  (But you go on all these trips.)
   Yes.  Because my mother and father had long illnesses during their too-short lives, and they're dead.