Pastroma/Pastrami (1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 30 21:27:53 UTC 2004

NOTE TO THOSE NEW ON THIS LIST, AFTER READING WILLIAM SAFIRE'S "ON:LANGUAGE"
COLUMN, WONDERING "WHY ALL THE FOOD????"

   Sometimes I report slang (for the HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN
SLANG), sometimes I do phrases (for the YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS), and
sometimes I do food (for the OXFORD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK).
Sometimes these posts fit more than one publication, plus the OXFORD ENGLISH
DICTIONARY and the DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN REGIONAL ENGLISH.
   I will compile this work for an authoritative online dictionary of food
and drink, in my spare time of not adjudicating parking tickets in the Bronx in
a room without windows or air.  I receive no grants and no awards.  William
Safire has known about this food work for many years, but the New York Times has
never printed any of it--not even "hot dog," done nine years ago and recently
reprinted in COMMENTS ON ETYMOLOGY.

PASTROMA/PASTRAMI

   The thing about food words is that you have to check all the spellings!

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
    1.  Display Ad 9 -- No Title
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 15, 1916. p. 11 (1
page) :
   SALAMI, Pastroma, Braunschweiger, Lachs Schinken, Kalter Aufschnitt--these
are some of the stage names of the delicatessen treats you will find at THE
PUMPERNICKEL.
   But you will find the translation on the same bill of fare and, with this
guide in hand, Lachs Schinken becomes smoked tenderloin of pork, Pastroma
stands revealed as spiced beef, and the formidable Braunschweiger becomes savory
liver sausage.  Nothing hard about it--is there?  And they're all mighty easy
to eat.
   Don't imagine that this foreign gentry constitutes the whole PUMPERNICKEL
menu.  It is only the element of difference that makes THE PUMPERNICKEL a rest
cure for tired appetites.

The Pumpernickel
The Restaurant That's Different
Quincy Street
Between State and Dearborn Streets
Formerly the Baltimore Inn

    2.  Display Ad 14 -- No Title
The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: May 29, 1922. p. 4 (1
page) :
OLD DUTCH MASTER MARKET
622-624 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE
Pastroma (spiced beef) lb. ... 65c