"Whole nine yards" : some negative evidence [addendum]

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Mon Nov 1 13:14:06 UTC 2004

Too ingenious? Must speakers have conceived them (tribes with members)
as "items," then use "all"? (Did they know and follow your rules?) I already
provided a parallel phrase from a translation of Machiavelli, The Art of
War, "the whole ten Companies"? Is that, too, too ingenious, for you, to
exist? Coincidence is a possibility to consider. Coincidence, in the sense of
meaningful relation in time and space and cause, may also be worth
considering. This explanation would help explain how the origin, coining,
became obscure, I suggest, when used in contexts removed from that coinciding.

Stephen Goranson