"Whole nine yards" : some negative evidence [addendum]

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Nov 2 05:33:57 UTC 2004

On Nov 1, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "Whole nine yards" : some negative evidence
> [addendum]
> --------
>
>> "All nine" would be the natural way to refer to a collection of
>> separate
>> items.
>
> That's what I think too, but after a little database browsing I'm a
> little
> less positive. I find "the whole five men" to be unnatural, for
> example,
> but it turns out this type of construction occurs -- although not with
> great frequency -- here and there in the routine newspapers for
> example.
>
>> "The whole nine" suggests a solid mass of something. (This is another
>> strike against the "MG belt" theory, BTW.)
>
> I disagree with the BTW. I think "the whole nine yards of ammo" is more
> natural than "all nine yards of ammo" particularly if the yards can be
> subdivided (which they can). I would prefer "all 400 rounds" rather
> than
> "the whole 400 rounds" however. None of these strikes me as
> grammatically
> impossible.
>
> -- Doug Wilson

Has anyone yet shown that ammunition of any given caliber is or was
measured in yards of belting, as opposed to its being measured by the
number of rounds in a container, whether the container holds loose
rounds or belted rounds, regardless of the length of the belt, either
officially or unofficially, in any branch of service whatsoever at any
time whatsoever?

-Wilson Gray