"good to go"

Tue Nov 2 16:26:19 UTC 2004

>   The
> soundtrack included a song called "Good to Go" by the group
> Trouble Funk, which was sampled by many hiphop DJs.
>
> The phrase "good to go" appeared in a number of rap songs of
> the mid-'80s.
>  The earliest example I can find is from LL Cool J's 1985
> single, "I Can't Live Without My Radio": "I'm good to go on
> your radio."  The Gulf War usage could very well have
> originated in hiphop/go-go circles.
> --Ben Zimmer

Amazon has a dozen or so albums with the title "Good to Go"; most all are
from the last 6 years and are urban or hip hop music.

If you go through the book search, though, the phrase is much more
associated recently with instruction books (program your computer, fix your
Harley, seduce a woman --  "Do xxxx, and you're Good to Go!"), and as you
move back past the mid-1990's, it becomes more associated with military
themes.