Slay, ?slayed?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Nov 3 21:22:34 UTC 2004

FWIW, I have only an off-brand Webster's - "New World" - from 1996 and
it agrees with Giles, except that it specifies that "slayed" is
grammatical only in figurative uses, such as, e.g. "... slayed his
rivals [in a rapping contest]" vs., e.g. "... slew his rivals [on the
battlefield]." Therefore, Giles is close, but gets no cigar, since
Buffy literally slew the vampire.

At this point, I'm going to drop back five and punt.

-Wilson  Gray