Slay, ?slayed? and I'm done my homework

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Nov 3 22:10:01 UTC 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 4:47 PM, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
> Subject:      Re: Slay, ?slayed? and I'm done my homework
> --------

> Newsweek  November 8, 2004 p.56
>> (I'm ignoring "walked onstage" vs. "walked onto the stage.")
> -Wilson Gray
>
> 'Walked onstage" doesn't bother me a bit.  I don't think 'Walked
> onstage'
>  and 'walked onto the stage' necessarily mean the same thing.
> Fritz

Sorry, Fritz. I ain't messin' wit' dis'un. As I said, I'm ignoring it.
Though I am quite tempted to rise to the challenge. However, I know
that, as a consequence of having spent years learning "proppa
Ang-lish," I tend to be a stickler for locutions that those who grew up
*speaking* what they consider to be proper English - and not some
random, non-standard dialect - don't waste their time with.

-Wilson