CP Time

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 4 21:47:02 UTC 2004

At 3:23 PM -0600 11/4/04, Patti J. Kurtz wrote:
>Or like 'Indian time," which is generally used in the west to refer to
>the casual attitude towards time that Native Americans tend to have.
>
>Patti Kurtz

this must indeed be a very general phenomenon.  When I was giving
talks in Aix-en-Provence (in the south of France) in 1977 I was
informed that I should allow for "le quart d'heure aixois", the Aix
Quarter-Hour, encapsulating the idea that everything there can be
expected to begin 15 minutes after the officially posted time, or by
implication 15 minutes after it would have started in uptight
northern places like Paris, London, New York, etc.

Larry