Help wanted - History of English - U of Wisconsin - Spring 2005

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 6 18:53:00 UTC 2004

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 08:54:41 -0600
From: "Cecilia E. Ford" <ceford at wisc.edu>

The English department at the University of Wisconsin, Madison is in
desperate need of a temporary lecturer next semester for History of English (as we
were for phonetics/phonology and dialects last semester).   If you have any
leads, please let me and Betsy know! (see below).   -Ceci

We continue to have a gap in our English Linguistics required courses this
year, given the retirement of both Marian Bean and Charles Scott.   Rebecca
Roeder taught English phonology and American dialects this semester, but she must
 now return to MSU to complete her dissertation.   We will be working to get
an English phonetics/phonology/dialects hire this year ( that is, working to
have the dept. request such a hire -- which, if all goes well, would mean a
search next year but no colleague till the year after!).   In the meantime our
students and our degree programs hobble along without a faculty member to
represent the sounds of English!   With time passing since any of our grad students
have had advanced trianing in these vital areas, the pool of potential
qualified lecturers has pretty much   evaporated.

Most immediately, what all this means is that we desperately need a lecturer
for Spring's English 323: The History of English.    If you have among your
advanced grad students, or in your historical linguistics network in a larger
world, scholars who would be ready to teach this course (they could also be
advanced scholars in phonology with a solid knowledge of the history of English
-where the sound system figures so much), please have them contact Gini Martens
in the dept. of English (263-3766/ TTY 263-2437-- email:   vmartens at wisc.edu)
as soon as possible.    It may also be possible for a good candidate to teach
2 courses in order to make what would be closer to a working wage, with the
second course being intro to the structure of English - 324 -- a course that
many will be ready to take on.

One course = 33% of a 9 month appointment;   minimum salary= 30, 000 (full
time, 9 ms -so not what s/he gets, of course).

Degree and area of specialization:
         PhD preferred, minimum all but dissertation, Applied Linguistics,
Linguistics/ English or related field.

Minimum number or years and type of work experience:
         Experience teaching at the university level.

Principal duties:
         Teach one section of English 323, History o the English Language,
Linguistic and sociolinguistic change in English from its beginnings to the
present.   Prepare, administer, and grade exams; hold office hours.

Thanks in advance for your help to the English department in finding a
qualified lecturer!

-Ceci

Cecilia E. Ford
Professor
Department of English
and Women in Science and Engineering Leadership Institute